Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

could it be a breakthrough????

I am currently half way through The Code Breakers by Walter Isaacson. .  It is  about DNA and RNA  and gene editing.  Its  also about the  science that has led to the vaccine being used  to fight covid 19. It's a very interesting book  and they have only mentioned  Alzheimmers twice  so far . Still if they can edit the genes maybe this could be very beneficial in dementia research.   It's just a thought.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    DD#1 did her PhD in editing genes.  The trick is not editing. It is Knowing what the sequences do
  • GMGYPSY
    GMGYPSY Member Posts: 16
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    Tell me more crushed.    BTW I do know there are a lot of ethical questions  that make this a controversy.   Just thought it's an interesting  topic
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

The components of DNA are

" adenine (A), thymine (T), guanine (G) and cytosine (C). The order, or sequence, of these bases determines what biological instructions are contained in a strand of DNA. For example, the sequence ATCGTT might instruct for blue eyes, while ATCGCT might instruct for brown.

The complete DNA instruction book, or genome, for a human contains about 3 billion bases and about 20,000 genes on 23 pairs of chromosomes."

Gene encode proteins, it the proteins that actually do the work

So you have to work backwards from the proteins

Two proteins are relevant to Alzheimer's Amyloid  Beta and Tau

But we don't know how they related to disease causation

"These mechanisms, their interactions, and their potential for pharmacological modulation, are partially understood at best. " 

Thsi article shows just how complicated the search for some kind of really is.  

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-82658-7

• GMGYPSY
    GMGYPSY Member Posts: 16
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

Thank you Crushed  that was very helpful  I can see that we have a very long way to go.  I have faith that science will eventually figure it out , sadly not in time for my DHbut maybe  for my grandchildren or  great grandchildren. Let's hope.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more