Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Clueless in Seattle

I read many of the posts in several of these threads and I’m unsure how to proceed or even if I belong here. First my DW is suffering from dementia brought on by multiple TIA’s (mini strokes). They occurred in Nov of 2019 so we have only been on this roller coaster since then. I read many posts that I can relate to. Brief review. No longer recognizes me, does not know that we are married, every morning has to ask where she is and how did she get here, frequently ask me to take her home, leaves the house (so far only goes to neighbors), maudlin bouts, volatile outbursts, fears being put in a home most of all, fears electric shock treatments. Can’t leave her alone so I pack her up to go shopping with me. This does not work all the time as she frequently decides that she does not wish to go. Sleep is a issue as when she gets into a “mood” she will be up and down all night which of course means I am up all night. Luckily I’m retired so when she finally crashes, I can grab a couple moments of rest. When she wakes, she does not remember any of the night. I’m starting to ramble so better close before I become incoherent. Thanks

Comments

• banpaeng
    banpaeng Member Posts: 66
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    You are not incoherent, you are normal with what you have been dealt,  Will say Welcome and hope you find your answers here.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

First of all,welcome to both of you. We have a lot of good people here, willing to share and help in any way they can. Sorry you are dealing with this disease.

papasan wrote:

my DW is suffering from dementia brought on by multiple TIA’s (mini strokes). They occurred in Nov of 2019 

If I'm reading this right, your wife had multiple TIAs, which brought on dementia. That seems to be unusually fast progression. Are you sure there isn't something else going on? Possible brain tumor or something like that? 

You are in the right place, and you are proceeding very well. 

• papasan
    papasan Member Posts: 2
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Not sure if she is having more TIA's but the progression has been very rapid. She has had CT scan, MRI, ultrasound, CAT scan (don't know if that and CT are the same). I have no basis to say if this is abnormally fast. The Dr's are not giving me any signals in that direction. So again the Clueless comes into play.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Papasan, You’re in the right place. Your wife’s symptoms sound like my husbands. It doesn’t matter the cause of the cognitive loss other than it helps to know which medicines might help, but other than that you’re dealing like the rest of his here with spouses who’s brains have been affected by disease.  
    Can you leave her alone for any length of time? Can she walk?  I think you’re going to need caregiving support quick if she cannot build knowledge on her understanding of her situation. You cannot live this life of her confusion and resultant agitation 24/7 without beginning to question your own sanity. 

Do you have nearby family who can step in to relieve you? If not, speak to her doctor for a referral to an Elder Advisor about alternatives for help in caring for her. There are agencies out there that will support you and your wife. Make the calls today. Prepare for tomorrow. This disease causes so much stress and stress can kill the caregiver! I’ve not known rage until meeting dementia wrought with paranoia and delusions. 

Good luck to you both. 

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Both ischemic stroke and TIA are associated with vascular dementiaVascular dementia is the second most common form of dementia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3214877/

An MRI of the brain, or some other scan, would let you know if vascular problems are present.

I know diagnosis doesn't help physically.  But sometimes there is relief and a sense of validation once there is a definite diagnosis.

Welcome to the forum.

Elaine

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living