Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Friend Still Asking Why Me

How do I get my friend to get past the stage of WHY ME?  I'm tell him every day he has so much to offer this disease doesn't define who he is.  Things that once came easy for him is a struggle and he gets frustrated and angry. How do we get past this?

Comments

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I don't think you can. My DH was diagnosed over 5 years ago. He still wants to know why him.
  • KawKaw
    KawKaw Member Posts: 58
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

It might take time or it might be a sorrow that does not waver.

Getting a diagnosis of AD or dementia is very frightening for most of us.

It means change that cannot be controlled.

It means our way of life will be gradually lost.

It usually means a progression into cognitive disability that requires outside assistance.

It can mean a loss of what we perceive as our essential self.

If your friend can find an experienced therapist who has worked with PWD (people with dementia) in the past, encourage them to do so.

If your friend is open to the idea (and has not already done so) encourage second opinions or treatment options.

I am using the Exelon patch and Namenda to help maintain my cognitive functioning.

I did not notice a difference when starting Namenda, but I did with the Exalon patch.

Encourage them to join this message board.  Those of us with AD or dementia or mild cognitive impairment interact here and answer each other's questions and cheer on success.

You can also take classes or join support groups to help you understand what is happening and how to keep yourself balanced while helping your friend.

• LAB1011
    LAB1011 Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you for your reply as it has been helpful.  I would love for him to get a 2nd opinion but his family isn't on the same page.  I seem to be the only one working with him daily to keep as many skills going as possible.  I'm NOT giving up.  I'll look at the exelon patch and try to bring it up to the "unapproachable" family.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more