Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

this is a first

caberr
caberr Member Posts: 211
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

We were in the family room watching tv.  Our daughter called so I turned the tv down.  After the call, I went into the kitchen.  When I came back my husband was up looking for something.  I asked what and he said football and the tv.  He couldn't find the tv was looking behind the door and going out into the hall.  I told him to sit down and gave him ice cream and asked "where's the tv"?  He looked around but finally found it. 

I am now in the den and I saw him looking behind the family room door and out into the hall.  He said he was looking for the bathroom which is right across the hall.  He found it but made some excuse as to what he was doing. 

This is the first time he's done this.  We've lived here for 44 years!  

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    These changes get you in the gut, don't they?  Hurts, and breaks your heart.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Possible UTI?
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I really feel for you as that must be so hard to see. It scares me knowing it may happen one day.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

We’ve racked up 24 years in this old house, but it’s been at least a couple of years since my DW could find the bathroom.

Could be a UTI, as Ed notes, but could also be progression.  Another loss along the way.  Sorry you’re experiencing this.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

he was tested for uti last week, all good.   But he did break his collar bone and I know that is throwing him off.  I'm hoping the break doesn't make things go downhill faster.  

And the collar bone....how fun trying to keep the sling on and explain that he can't use that arm!  So afraid he'll end up with surgery and things will really decline.  Praying it doesn't happen. 

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    I’m sorry to hear he (you) are dealing with a broken collar bone. Injuries and post op surgeries are very trying as the cognitively impaired can’t recall the injury/surgery and will keep exasperating the situation since they cannot hold onto what happened or follow doctor’s orders. Unless you sit side by side and watch 24/7 (and even then) it’s next to an impossible situation. Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more