Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Affected Me More Than It shoud

This morning while I was on the phone my wife went to burn incense as she does every day.  I looked up and she was walking out of the kitchen with several paper towels on fire..  As I hung up the phone I ask what she was doing.  She said she didn't know.  I then proceeded to put out the paper towels and again ask why.  She did not know why or for that matter where she was.  After all the stuff I have been through why would this bother me but it is eating at me terribly.

Frustrated in Texas.

Comments

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    It’s bothering you because your gut is telling you she can no longer recognize danger and she can no longer be left alone for even 1 minute.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

She should not have access to incense, candles, the stove, matches, or any incendiary device.  Ditto what dayn2nite2 said.

Iris L.

• janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

It bothered you because she could have set the house on fire and killed you both! Fire can envelop your entire house in about three minutes. It is deadly. I know because I watched my childhood house go up in flames in less than one minute. Take away ALL incense, matches, candles, lighters, etc. IMMEDIATELY! This is NOT a wait and see situation.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Banpaeng, I agree that your DW should not be left alone, especially with matches. The morning incense ritual is important to your wife, so can you participate with her?  That way she has the comfort of the incense with the comfort of you with her, and she is safe.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    And....it bothers you because it was a very vivid sign of progression.  There's no denying it when something like this happens.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more