Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Funriture, MIL and dinner

Kevcoy
Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
I know, I know, I've read about it many times that it is best to not argue with your spouse who is suffering from this disease because you can never win, but every now and then my DH hits a trigger in me that pushes me too far.  The other morning he informed me that he told his mother that she could have all of our living room furniture and she want us to bring it to her over the weekend.  If it was anybody else I would have let it go but knowing his mother this is exactly what she would do and I flipped out.  I told him the furniture is ours and he can't give it away with talking it over with me.  Only to be met with, if your mother needed furniture would you deny her?  Over the years my MIL has given us gifts only to ask for them back when she gets mad at one of us, usually me.  I have tried to talk to her about her son's condition only to be met with, "There is nothing wrong with him, he is just fine."  Only to continue with, "It's you who has the problem, not my son, you need to get help."  She is trying to drive a wedge between us.  Last night about 5pm she shows up and said she needed him to come talk to her brother about "something important."  They took off and about 45 minutes later my husband called and told me the three of them were at a restaurant and he would be back when he could.  Not a word about asking me if I would like to join them, not that I would because her brother is about as wacked out as my MIL.  I took it as a time for myself and enjoyed the quiet but it is just the point of the issue that ticked me off.  And, no she isn't getting the furniture.

Comments

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Kevcoy,

I hate to say this, but this seems like a lead-up to the family trying to get control over your DH and his assets.  This happens a lot in dysfunctional families.  It often starts out with a battle of powers of attorney, and then changing the will.  The only way to prevent this if you think it's a real threat is to petition a judge to receive guardianship over your husband and conservatorship over his property. Good luck.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I agree with JJAz. When you mentioned the three of them in a restaurant without you. I got a knot in my chest. They could have been at an attorney’s office. Please cover your bases. All of them! Good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more