Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need someone who is or was in the medical field.

2»

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Crushed wrote:

My point is not whether this drug is worthless or not. My point is that science advances through the public debate on the public evidence by qualified experts, not by manuscripts pumped by interested parties to caretaker news groups.   

Michael simply asked for someone with a medical background to review what he has.  He did not even say it was about a drug, nor did he say it was about a cure.  Michael was not promoting this to the members, but he was asking for an opinion.  Lane responded.  No one else here responded.  

Most of us have known each other virtually for several years.  I'm pretty sure that none of the regulars are "quacks" or want to promote quack theories.  We just want to help.  What we have to offer may or not be helpful, but it is not knowingly harmful.  A gentle warning if a suspicion is raised may be indicated, but to come down on Michael like a ton of bricks is completely unwarranted IMO.  

Iris

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

If there is one thing I leaned in life is while I am smart there are many smarter people then I for their particular field and I always like to go to the experts. Especially now days with my dementia I would never rely on my views before someone else vets what I have. While I tend to still be right I don’t have the faith in myself any more. Maybe you may learn something from that.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Oh please

Michael is a good person, so is everyone here.   

But the claim was specifically MEDICAL

Not social work , not counseling   or any of the other useful ways of dealing with dementia, MEDICAL 

He wanted a medical person. 

My point and I will continue to make it is that MEDICAL advances in Alzheimer's  are published in the MEDICAL  literature.  You don't find them in such books. There is no MEDICAL gold in any of the descriptions

We have had a year of You Tube QUACKS pumping medical nonsense on Covid 19

People DIED listening to that nonsense

So if you claim you have secret knowledge of a MEDICAL advance with regard to Alzheimer's  I will continue to ask a lot of questions.

Whether you’re accessing information in print or online, it’s important to determine the credibility of the author, their credentials, and the publisher of the material. Scholarly publications feature peer-reviewed journal articles written by academics or experts in their fields, discussing the detailed results of scientific research. Popular publications such as magazines feature articles that are written for the general public, and may be meant for entertainment rather than factual information.

Quacks or facts? Making sense of health news in the digital age

https://www.alzsd.org/quacks-or-facts-making-sense-of-health-news-in-the-digital-age/

As one example

A protocol comprising dietary supplements and lifestyle changes that claims to prevent or reverse Alzheimer’s disease and cognitive decline has drawn media fanfare and critical acclaim from health gurus and even physicians. But endorsement of these claims is frequently based on three published papers – all of which share the hallmarks of second-rate science, according to a cognitive neurologist at UC San Francisco.   In her editorial in the Lancet Neurology, published in May 2020, Joanna Hellmuth, MD, of the UCSF Memory and Aging Center, said the “Bredesen protocol” – named by neurologist Dale Bredesen, MD – has reeled in patients and their families seeking hope outside of the physician’s office for a disease that is currently incurable.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/417431/pricey-protocol-not-proven-prevent-or-reverse-alzheimers-says-ucsf-neurologist

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Seems to me that that is precisely why Michael asked for some help.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more