Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Got first of two vaccine shots yesterday

We have been waiting a long time for appointments to be available in my rural town.

I learned that a city in my county a couple hours away had same day appointments available.

I made an appointment for Friday morning, got my shot, and got home within 6 hours.

Exhausting day.

But it was worth it.

There are still no appointments available in my city.  The pharmacies and the hospital keep ending out messages that they are on the way.  We cannot even get my 80+ yr old FIL an appointment.
Seems strange that only 120 miles away, people could walk in with no appointment and get a vaccination.

As I walked to my car, I saw they were not at full capacity.  People still arriving, but the hub was set up for to handle even more people.

I was in and out in 35 minutes.

Again, worth it, but many people in my area do not have the resources to drive two hours to get to the city.

I think I can begin to find the best doctors for me in my new town.  And a dentist!  I can set appointments 5 weeks out from now.

Hoping everyone who wants to be vaccinated can be attended to soon.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm sure you gave a sigh of relief to finally get vaccinated.  In my area there were two dates when a mobile medical van was sent out to neighborhoods to vaccinate the homebound.  But that was only twice in four months.  

My county is slowly but steadily opening up.  Restaurant, churches and stores can have more capacity.  Some public schools are opening.  Disneyland will open in a few weeks, but with no shouting or yelling on the roller coasters!

I hope you can soon find an easily accessible vaccination site for your FIL.  The elders should all have been vaccinated by now!  They are the most vulnerable!  

Iris

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

There is a website that locates vaccination locations: www.vaccinefinder.org.  You may be able to locate a vaccine for your FIL.   

Iris

• KawKaw
    KawKaw Member Posts: 58
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you!

Last night, my husband found a location not too great a drive and they are both being vaccinated with J&J next week on Thursday evening.

I saved the link you provided in case others have trouble finding vaccinations around here.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more