Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Swallowing/choking

DH has Lewy Body.  Has anyone else's LO developed swallowing issues? First time experience this morning while eating a banana. Difficulty swallowing and almost  choking.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi lqadams, we haven't personally had that problem yet but unfortunately I think it's pretty common--and quite dangerous, with risks for choking and aspiration leading to pneumonia.  Likely warrants evaluation with what's called a swallowing study--they can watch the action of the muscles with a fluoroscope.  Happens in Parkinson's too and a lot of the dementias eventually.  Typically, depending on what the swallowing study shows, it's treated with diet modifications---but what specific ones to make would depend on the results of the study.  Good luck---
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Yes, my husband had Lewy as well.  We didn't observe him choking, but ultimately he had bilateral pneumonia caused by swallowing problems.  If you are interested in an online forum for spouses of Lewy patients, check out  https://groups.io/g/LBDCaringSpouses

• lqadams
    lqadams Member Posts: 51
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Thank you for your posts. I will check out LB support group.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more