Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Easter Dinner almost turned into a disaster

Celebrating anything with Alzheimer's is hard.  Easter was no exception.  DH wouldn't get out of bed to get ready for church service.  I was wearing myself out going up and down the stairs to remind him to get up and shower.  Finally, our daughter, who is visiting talked to him and he did get up.  By that time it was almost time to leave for church.  So DH got dressed without showering...again.  We arrived as the music was playing for the start of service but I was just grateful to be there.

DH sister and husband came for Easter Dinner.  My daughter and I had worked hard to make a nice meal.  While it was till cooking, we all sat down and were visiting and "telling stories" about ourselves and family.  I unthinkingly told something funny that DH had done years ago.  He immediately put his head down and stopped talking.  Then he got up and said he needed some fresh air and walked out.  I sat there for a few minutes before going outside to make sure he was alright.  He has trouble walking due to hip pain and also has balance problems.  He wasn't in the yard.  Then I saw him halfway down the block!  He was almost to the corner of a very busy street when I caught up to him.  He said he was upset and didn't want to go back until everyone had left.  Then he started to cross the street!  I knew if he did that he would be lost and confused.  I grabbed his arm.  He resisted and tried to jerk away.  I kept holding on and he finally said okay he wouldn't cross the street but he would walk around the block until they were gone and then headed up the side of the block.  I walked home at that point and persuaded his sister to go talk to him...he usually listens to her.  It took about 45 minutes but she finally persuaded him to come home.  He had gotten partway around the block and was sitting on some steps.  By that time, he couldn't remember what he was upset about, only that he was upset.  Dinner was tense and our company was uncomfortable but maybe it was good for them to see.  I don't think they realized just how bad things have gotten and how much DH is slipping.  When they left later that afternoon, we walked them to the door.  When the door closed, DH looked at me and our daughter and said," I'm happy, it's been a good day."  Oh,my, if he only knew how close it came to being a disaster.  If he had wandered off and crossed that street, I would have probably had to call 911 for the police to help us find him.  I fell into bed that night exhausted.

Comments

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    What an ordeal! So glad all turned out well and I hope you rested well that night.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Best laid plans, White Crane.  Sorry it was so difficult but glad it worked out.  And I'm glad you got to church and to be with your family a little bit.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Best laid plans, White Crane.  Sorry it was so difficult but glad it worked out.  And I'm glad you got to church and to be with your family a little bit.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Oh my White Crane! I can relate to your frustration on the busy street. I don't entertain or cook or host dinners, but I have had a battle of wills with my DH near the street. It is so scary!

You put so much effort into making it a wonderful day for all. I am glad it worked out in the end and your DH called it a good day. 

Blessings to you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry you had such a hard time. But it wound up where it could have been worse. You must still be worn out.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more