Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Husband is getting urine on the floor around the toilet

Lately my husband gets urine all over the floor beside, in front of and around the toilet. This upsets my stepson (his middle-aged son) because he always cleans it up. My therapist tells me that any negative reaction to this "accident" will only make things worse and upset my DH. He isn't incontinent yet, but I assume this may be the beginning of it. Have any of you had this happen and how do you handle it?

I tell him to sit down when he urinates and a lot of times he does so, but other times it doesn't seem to register or he forgets it before he makes it to the toilet. Is there anything I can do to alleviate the tension that results from this? I cleaned it up myself today and that seems to help.

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My DH was doing that when he sat down to pee. I thought he was peeing before he sat down. I discovered what was happening was when he sat down there is a gap between the toilet seat and the toilet so when he peed it came out from under the lid. So I got a lid that had a protector and I also wrapped a big towel around the toilet to absorb what ran down the toilet. It worked well. Good Luck.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

For a male relative we got a plastic "desk chair floor protector" and cut it to fit the toilet.  Kept a mop Handy and cleanup was a breeze

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Even with the floor protector you still have to mop.  Zetta has a good idea and it worked well for her.  Thankfully, I didn't have that problem - or, if I did I've forgotten about it.  I think we tend to only remember the good things and not the bad.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I would spray hydrogen peroxide then mop with a Swifter. I actually use the peroxide a lot.
  • Nanpav
    Nanpav Member Posts: 6
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    I had the same problem with my DH. I bought puppy pads and cut them to fit around the toilet. If you make a few snips on the edge closest to the toilet, you can then cover the base of the toilet too. In addition, I put clear caulk around the toilet base. Then the clean up was fairly easy. I pre cut the entire package so there would always be a ready-to-use supply.
  • Miss Ripper
    Miss Ripper Member Posts: 49
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Nanpav wrote:
    I had the same problem with my DH. I bought puppy pads and cut them to fit around the toilet. If you make a few snips on the edge closest to the toilet, you can then cover the base of the toilet too

I just sent for some pads that are made especially to fit around the toilet on the floor. They look similar to puppy pads, so I'm hoping they will work. All day today, when he had to use the toilet, I walked along and reminded him to sit down. So far, so good.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Try a colored toilet bowl cleaner that you put in the tank; it may help him see the target better. I keep a couple of those toilet rugs and change them often as well as use disposable wipes, several times per day.
  • DWck
    DWck Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I bought an elevated toilet seat (about 6 inches high) that sits on top of the bowl eliminating leakage between toilet seat and bowl. Also easier for DH to get up and down on toilet.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    OfficeSupply.com sells a black rubber mat that goes around toilet. Theoretically one could pick it up and clean it efficiently. I sent for one and it hasn’t arrived. I’m dealing with this same problem.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Urine around the toilet happens daily here. DH's aim is off if he stands. If DH sits, sometimes the urine goes between the gap between the seat and the toilet bowl. Sometimes, DH thinks he is properly seated, however his bottom is not on the seat at all and he is peeing directly on the floor. Although I try to position him, DH gets confused as I try to guide his butt onto the seat and the result is like a faucet of urine at my feet.

I promptly clean up the urine on the toilet base and the floor with old towels, then use Lysol wipes to disinfect it. I may follow up by mopping with a damp vinegar and water mop.

The greater challenge here has been supervising DH during a bowel movement so that the feces gets into the toilet...not on the walls or safety bars or floor or his hands. DH is very private and wants to go to the water closet unaccompanied. I channel BeachFan and continue to insert myself.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Miss Ripper wrote

I just sent for some pads that are made especially to fit around the toilet on the floor. They look similar to puppy pads, so I'm hoping they will work. All day today, when he had to use the toilet, I walked along and reminded him to sit down. So far, so good.

Sadly, you may have reached the point where I find myself (for several years now);  DH never uses the toilet alone, never, 24/7.  I am always on alert and physically assist him, start to finish.  Thankfully, he sits to use the toilet, he uses the toilet infrequently (3-4 times in 24 hours) and almost always sleeps through the night (10-12 hours) without waking to use the bathroom.  It is exhausting at times, but it beats the alternative.  It may not last forever, but for now it's working.  He has had, perhaps, 7 "accidents" in the 11 years since DX, but none of them have been horrendous and I can account for all of them as being a result of  my "negligence".  
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

If sitting to void, one can get a toilet splash guard; just Google, Adult Male Toilet Splash Guards; there are a variety of them.  Of course if there is urge incontinence then that means leakage before getting to the toilet.  In some cases, it helps to have the LO void every two hours routinely.  And it is also true that the body has other system issues other than dementia; in that light, one may think about enlarged prostate problem issues and if on a med like Flomax to address that, it can create a HUGE need to go NOW, often with loss of control.

And of course, all the other reasons related to dementia.

J.

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Experienced this for years after DH had stroke and now with AD. I quietly clean it up while being surprised he doesn't know it. He would be devastated if he knew. Tip: if company is in the house, always go to the bathroom after he does to clean it before someone else goes in there.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Pam....what a great tip
  • newbloomer
    newbloomer Member Posts: 15

I'm also dealing with this issue. the puppy pads work great at keeping floor dry.  the problem her is he still pees on toilet too. the pads help when he doesn't get that far.  another issue is the depends. he still gets them wet and his pants too. i guess he just doesn't get it out far enough quick enough.  that's more of a problem for me than him. constant laundry.  the trick at night, suggested by someone on board, can't remember, is using the waterproof pad under an extra sheet. then if he doesn't make it up in time, I can just remove that and bed is still dry. 

guess there is no one great answer. 

• Miss Ripper
    Lynne D wrote:
    Try a colored toilet bowl cleaner that you put in the tank; it may help him see the target better..
    Lynne D - Excellent idea with the colored toilet bowl cleaner. Hope that helps.
  • Miss Ripper
    DWck wrote:
    I bought an elevated toilet seat (about 6 inches high) that sits on top of the bowl eliminating leakage between toilet seat and bowl. Also easier for DH to get up and down on toilet.
    DWck - He isn't sitting down. If he sits, this doesn't happen. He can't see the toilet, apparently, so there's a huge flood all over the floor tile.

• Miss Ripper
    Beachfan wrote:
    Sadly, you may have reached the point where I find myself (for several years now);  DH never uses the toilet alone, never, 24/7.  I am always on alert and physically assist him, start to finish.  

Beachfan - I agree that I've reached that point where I have to tell him to sit down to urinate. Otherwise, there's urine everywhere. I just finished cleaning a "flood" in the floor of the basement bathroom and our son had to clean the one on the main floor.

• JoanE
    JoanE Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    I am new to this. DH is in the process of getting tested but that won't happen until next month. He has been missing the toilet for some time now. Is this a symptom of disease? Because of other health issues, including lower back problems, he's gained a lot of weight in his mid section. I thought he just couldn't see what he was doing. I haven't had rugs down now for awhile and am using bed pads now for quite awhile. We've established this bathroom as his to limit the messes. I just feel this is the new norm. There are so many reasons I am struggling until his Neuro psych test. I'm happy to be on this site to help navigate through this.
  • Miss Ripper

Hi JoanE - My DH has only recently started missing the toilet, but talking to others on here, I assume this is part of the disease. He isn't yet incontinent, day or night, just seems to not be able to fully hit the toilet anymore. After he did it yesterday, he cried and wouldn't tell me why he was crying. He said, "I need to find something to do." What that tells me is that he knows it is happening and because it upsets his son (who is living with us to help me care for him) because he's normally the one who cleans it up. I will clean it up if I am the one who sees it first.

My DH always stayed trim and worked out faithfully and would be mortified to see that he, too, has gained a lot of weight around his middle. I can barely get his jeans fastened around the waist now, even though they bag elsewhere. I had to go up one inch in the waist size. His abdomen looks bloated and swollen, though he's the same everywhere else. I believe this is because he mostly just sits in a chair all day and doesn't move around, but perhaps it also goes along with the disease.  Anyone know?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more