Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What size bed?

abc123
abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
Im curious as to how many people here who are dealing with incontinence still sleep in a king size bed? I'm hoping Dad will switch to a queen size. Mom is getting worse. We are using a waterproof mattress protector and pee pads, then a fitted sheet and flat sheet. Any suggestions on bedding, etc. are welcomed.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

If he is used to a large bed, it might be hard for him to adjust to something smaller. My wife and I have always had a full size bed, and it's plenty big enough for both of us. 

I also layer the bed. Mattress cover on the bottom, followed by waterproof pad, fitted sheet, then top sheet. This is followed by waterproof pad, fitted sheet, then top sheet. Use as many layers as you want. This makes it easy to rip off the sheet and pad if needed in the middle of the night, and another fresh set is already on the bed.

I'm using pads that are (I think) 34X52 inches. If used across the bed, it is large enough to cover both sides of the bed. But we don't need that, so I use them longways. I'm posting an image of the tag. Don't know where they came from because my daughter ordered them, but I can ask her if you want. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    My husband sleeps in a twin size bed.  I layered his bed with large washable pads, mattress protector, another mattress protector, disposable pads and then a sheet.   It's much easier to deal with the twin size bed; we used to have a king size.  I sleep in a spare bedroom.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    2 twin extra long pushed together
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH and I are sleeping in a Queen Bed. We are just beginning the incontinence phase so I have little real life experience there so far. I do have a 6 sided zip up mattress protector on the mattress. DH is wearing Depends to bed and thus far, they have absorbed everything. 

Last week I put a reusable underpad under the fitted sheet (on top of the mattress pad which was on top of the mattress protector). The plastic backing on the underpad was stiff and bothersome so I skipped it this week. I received disposable mattress pads this week. I'll try them this week in hopes they are not like the "bed of nails" that the reusable underpad was.

I often wonder if DH and I would be better off with 2 twin beds NOT pushed together. DH is unaware of where his body is. He sometimes tries to position himself diagonally or straight across the bed. I tuck DH in every night to get his head and his feet positioned correctly. Over the course of the night I am getting inched out of the bed.

• 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    We use a queen but I have been thinking lately of two twin beds not pushed together.  DW is still continent but does have toileting issues so I'm not sure how long it'll be until she had that problem.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thanks everyone for the input! It’s greatly appreciated! I will share all of this with my Dad. He just might like the idea of two twins pushed together. Changing the bed without me is really wearing him out but I had to come home because of prior obligations. 

The biggest problem he is dealing with is Mom will not keep the Depends on. He has to constantly check her. I am hoping this will cause him to bring in help before he gets totally worn out. 

Thanks again!

Ed, yes! Please ask her where she got them from. Thank you!

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Same here with my husband having no awareness of where his body is. He has rolled over on to me, pinning me down, inadvertently hit me, as well as inching me off the bed. He also startles and jerks a lot. I put a bolster on his side of the bed to keep him from rolling out. He hated it for a while but recently said “it keeps me from rolling out of bed.” I tell him I have problems sleeping so sleep elsewhere. He would be sad to know he is the cause.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more