Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Spilling coke on carpet

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My wife has knocked her glass over more than once. What looked like new carpeting now doesn't look quite as good, but I've been able to do a pretty good job of getting the spills out of the carpeting. 

I found there are mugs that are supposed to be spill proof. There are more than one manufacturer, and I wondered if any of you have had experience with any of them. Here is a link to one of them. 

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mug-1527-Go-Lilac/dp/B00FZDJI0A/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=anti+spill+beverage+cup&qid=1618060113&sr=8-17#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div  

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Howdy Ed.

I bought the Contigo Kids Spill Proof Tumbler with Straw, for me, because I am notorious for spilling my drinks. Here is a link to the product https://www.gocontigo.com/kids/kids-spill-proof-tumbler-with-straw-14oz/SAP_2076700.html I bought mine at Target.

I don't think the product will work for your DW because carbonated beverages bubble up the straw and spill over. I did not know this until the product arrived and I read the instructions. Then, one day, I forgot and put sparkling water in the cup, sure enough I now understand why carbonated beverages are not recommended for use in the product. I would read the specs for the tumbler you consider to see it it says anything about carbonated beverages.

An option I considered is the child cups used at some restaurants. They are plastic and have a plastic snap on lid with a hole for the straw. They are not entirely spill proof but might buy you a little time.

Good luck my dear friend.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I too am a spiller, I use a Tervis tumbler with a lid. Not spill proof but better than a whole glass on my computer.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I use a stainless steel cup with a lid and straw, similar to a Yeti but much cheaper. They come in all different sizes, and you can find them about anywhere (Walmart, Target, etc.). I have a big one, put ice in mine in the morning and fill it all the way up. The ice is still there at the end of the day. I have knocked mine over plenty of times. A little comes out around the straw hole, but if I catch it right away there's very little to clean up. That might not work for you if DW doesn't notice right away.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Ed- Try a sailing mug which is wide and heavy at the bottom with a gradual taper to the top. I have picture but can’t attach it. I’m working from my phone.
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Oxi clean is the best for cleaning it up and getting the stains out.

• Ed1937
    Thanks for the replies. I think I have one in mind.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    If you use OXI be certain to use the right one!
  • Ed1937
    I have some, but didn't need it. The trick is to blot it with paper towels until you can't get any more out. No rubbing! You can't tell where it was spilled.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I have been using this cup for DH's coffee, soda and water. It is working well for us so far.

I do not work for Munchkin and receive no compensation for this post. I am just sharing what is working for us.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Sugar-free will clean up more easily and 7Up would show less than coke. Kind of like serving white wine at parties rather than red.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more