Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

So.MUCH. Toilet paper (??)

There are much much worse things others are dealing with now, but this has perplexed me, so I wanted to ask for any ideas....

We have had toilets clogged to the point that plumbers were coming every couple weeks, for several months. I had drains snaked, checked, etc etc, nothing wrong with pipes, and no objects found. I was also vaguely noticing we were going through toilet paper fast, but didn’t think too much of it.

Long story short, DH has been filling—and I mean, literally filling—the toilet with toilet paper. CLEAN toilets, not just when he goes. The TP over tops the bowl. I showed him a couple times, and he knows nothing, did nothing, etc, “somebody else did that.” “Who did that?”

I’ve tried putting out only a few sheets, then he says he needs more after he goes. Or, he finds Kleenex boxes, and at least once paper towels. And I know he really does need *some* TP for..when he needs it.

I normally don’t care too much but our plumbing bills are excessive. Anybody have any ideas on how to reasonably limit TP in the toilet? (Maybe at least it will amuse somebody).

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Consider a bidet? If not, then you need to see which TP breaks down the best. They are not all the same. From what I remember, they soak TP in water for 15 seconds, then gently swish the water around to see which ones break down the easiest. I think Kirkland (from Costco) was the best, or near best. Some others that are very popular brands did not do so well in the tests. Of course if you could stop that from happening in the first place, that would be best. You will likely get more posts on this, maybe one that will solve the problem. Maybe you could put out a few more sheets than you have been doing, but not enough to cause problems.
  • vtgsell
    vtgsell Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

This is a bit of work, but if it would work it's  better than plumbing bills?  Buy whatever is the smallest number of sheets per roll.  Save empty rolls, and "roll down" a new roll onto an empty one, making several new rolls with enough TP for a reasonable use, but not enough to clog your toilet.  Replace with your small rolls every time he empties one, and hide all the rest of the TP in the house.

If it works, he will just think he's always encountering the roll as it's getting finished?  And he won't ever have enough to create a problem.    If he complains you are always running out, just thank him and say you'll put it on the grocery list?

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    We have a chronic drain problem. I went online and ordered toilet paper meant for RVs. So far so good but I do miss my nice soft toilet paper.
  • banpaeng
    banpaeng Member Posts: 66
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Bidet for sure and get a hand held shower for your shower and use in tub to use if needed.  Get rid of paper,  All hell for a few days, then over.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Maybe shut off the water to the toilet so you can get all the paper out. Turn it on to flush then turn it off again. And leave out small prerolled rolls of TP.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Great idea and if the turn off is frozen and you have a plumber out have them free up all water turnoffs.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    I keep the plunger and toilet auger handy and unfortunately need them often. DW likes to make pads of toilet paper by winding it around her hand several times. She leaves them all over, including a pile in the bathroom. When they all go in the bowl, along with what’s supposed to go in there, it can be a mess. The outlets on low flow toilets are smaller than the old ones, so it clogs easier. On the positive side, it’s harder to overflow a low flow toilet. If I can’t clear it with the plunger, I get out the auger. The toilet auger is a specialized snake just for toilet bowls is pretty easy to use and if you’re careful it’s not messy. Better than calling the plumber.
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I almost laughed because my story is that hubby uses only 1 or 2 square sections at a time.  I want him to wipe and he takes so little.   Hope you can get him to use less.
  • ARgirl
    ARgirl Member Posts: 20
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Gracious, I had no idea anyone else dealing with this issue! I thought I was losing my mind over toilet paper disappearing and toilet being stopped up. Whew, glad to know it is common in our lives, albeit the weirdest thing ever. I found a great plumber who supports me with these issues when needed. Otherwise, plunger always handy. 

I find that these unusual, unexplainable occurrences are the things that affect my brain so profoundly. Again, many days feel like I am losing it...when I realize my enemy is a stealthy one and in the brain of someone I love terribly.  Day by day.  Thanks again for a bit of laughter to accompany the losses we face.

• Rhonda59
    Rhonda59 Member Posts: 2
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment
    This brought back a memory of something my husband did.  I took everything out of the bathroom except a big bath towel, toilet paper, and a bar of soap in the shower.  I went in one day and the toilet wouldn't flush.  He had previously tried to flush hand towels and dish towels but I knew he didn't take those in there on this day.  I kept looking around trying to figure out what he flushed and then realized the brand new bar of soap was missing.  I tried snaking and it didn't work so I YOUTUBED it and learned that you have to just keep pouring lots of hot water in the bowl and flushing over and over.  We live in CA where we are always in a drought and I felt terrible wasting so much water.  It took a day and then the next morning before that soap finally went all the way down.  He's been gone 4 months now and I can look back and laugh.  Not so much then.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    When you to the grocery store look for septic tank safe toilet paper. They are suppose to break down quicker.
  • Princessk
    Princessk Member Posts: 2
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

One thing I have done because my husband also clogs the toilet if I leave a roll in there...Is take two white basin necks from the plumbing store and roll just enough toilet paper on there so he has enough in the bathroom to wipe himself. Maybe a half and inch or less and I leave two of those rolls in the bathroom in a little stand next to the toilet so he can see them.  This has been working out well so far.  If I leave anymore in there he will flood the bathroom and clog up the toilet and it will drip down stairs. Hope this helps.  I have had to take almost everything out of the bathroom because he tries to clean the toilet with anything that's left in there.  I have to watch him like a hawk so he doesn't figure out something new to do.  Bathroom is the worst place for him to be in because he can't figure out how to do things right and if I say anything he gets angry. 

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

It’s been a while, and I see I’ve never responded,, apologies and thanks to all. Some big help here! I had no idea this problem was so shared.

I took several suggestions —made much smaller rolls, cleared out other thing, and got the RV/septic safe TP. I did not know/think about that, and I should have from past activities. DH complained a little (he talks very little) but he uses much less, and I moved *more* stuff out of bath. He’d look for more paper, or things to flush, but forget what he was looking for before he could find it. 

And smaller rolls...duh me! I should have thought about that, too. Thanks group!

And, maybe it was a phase he got past. But he doesn’t clog it like he used to.knock wood.

• Mona3
    Mona3 Member Posts: 8
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    OMG  Thank you so much for this post!  I am so sorry you are going thru this but now I know why my toilet is getting clogged!!!!  We have a spare bathroom that my DH predominately uses and it gets clogged on a regular basis.  I don't keep track of how much toilet paper gets used.  I do use extra soft toilet paper so OH MY - I guess that is what is happening!  Yet another thing to attempt to resolve in some way.
  • Stunned805
    Stunned805 Member Posts: 4
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    1. My DH has been gone almost a year now, but this reminded me of when he would think he was blowing his nose constantly and he would fill up the whole bathroom with wadded up toilet paper. Back then, I would buy large packs of toilet paper. Wish I still had that problem.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more