Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mirtazapine

Anyone have experience with Mirtazapine for stimulating appetite in an elderly LBD patient? My DH was just prescribed 7.5 MG for the first time, it was given to him last night, and he has slept all day today! He’s much more wiped out than the usual tiredness and only sat up and ate a vanilla shake...then went right back to sleep! BP is ok. Any such experience?

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Mirtazapine can cause drowsiness and lightheadedness.  He should probably take it at night, before bedtime.  

Iris L.

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    My wife takes Mirtazapine before going to bed. She was given this drug for miner depression and for sleep,
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    My DW takes Mirtazapine at night, prescribed for appetite stimulation.  She has AD, not LBD. DW has been having trouble keeping weight on for a couple of years now. Between appetite and physical difficulties eating, she went from a size 8 to a size 2. As for drowsiness, she’s on a lot of stuff that should make her sleepy, but she gets very anxious and agitated and confused. Frankly, I would welcome it if the mirtazapine made her sleep more. I hope the Mirtazapine works for your DH.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more