Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does this Happen

Potsie
Potsie Member Posts: 45
10 Comments Second Anniversary
Sunday April 10th DH and I celebrated our 45th anniversary. I struggled for the last week worrying about getting through it. It went better than I thought. We looked at our wedding pictures together. I brought cupcakes and ice cream and decaf coffee. I set it up for DH and I talked to him about it being our anniversary. He just chuckles when I talk to him. I fed him his cupcake and ice cream. I placed his coffee cup in his hand. I turned away for a second and he grabbed the plate and took a bite himself. Then he took my cup and drank my coffee too. Usually when I am there he doesn't feed himself. He doesn't speak but I talk to him and ask questions anyway. He actually said "Yeah" to one of my questions. He seemed so much more with it than usual. Is this common? Grateful for the day!

Comments

• banpaeng
    banpaeng Member Posts: 66

I am not sure I can answer your question.  Just another story.

My wife loves to fish.  Needless to say we don't do it anymore.  However we went Friday.  She smiled and giggled when she caught a fish.  Had such a wonderful day.

Saturday we got up and no memory of the day before.

Guess this is how our lives roll.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Potsie, congrats on 45 years together. It sounds as if it actually worked out pretty well for you, and he seemed to enjoy it.

Yes, people sometimes have very good days where things seem to be reversing themselves. Just don't expect it to last.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    yes. it would happen here but how wonderful to have it happen on  your anniversary....
  • Potsie
    It was so nice to see that on our anniversary. I went home and broke down. It was so hard being alone last night. I couldn't turn my brain off. I finally went to the bedroom at 4 am. I am with him again today (and every day) and he seems as good as yesterday. The goods and bads really confuse me. Thanks for the responses.
  • Potsie
    Today DH was doing well and was trying to get out of the recliner. He actually walked in his room with 2 assist. I spoke with his nurse and she said he is doing better because they took him off Haldol.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Hi Potsie, I’m so glad you both enjoyed your anniversary.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Congratulations on your anniversary. I'm certain it was not how you expect it to be. However, he gave you a gift of a word, and being somewhat himself. Count it as a blessing.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney