Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

First real MC visit in a year

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I had my first real MC visit in a year yesterday. She was clean and properly dressed.   I brought in lunch for her.  I fed her alone in the activity room. Her physical shape is excellent. She can walk, chew a fish sandwich if it is put in her mouth, swallow, drink with a straw and drink from a cup you hold to her mouth. She enjoyed company for 15 minutes and then wanted to leave.    

I have been indulging myself with visions of her long hair but it is impractical. I somehow avoided the horrible sadness I usually feel.   I felt nothing but memories of warmth and love and affection.  In 1971 I began  6 months of talking to her in our dormitory  stairwell while she refused to go out with me since I was a "drunken bum with lecherous intentions"  In 1972 I finally got to kiss her and she agreed to marry me after her mother found out I could cook. Otherwise her mother thought she would starve.  She was 20. 

What a life we built together.  Professional success, public service,  wonderful children, travel all over the world.   Her favorite quip 

Q. Why does a doctor marry a lawyer? 

A.  To treat him like he really deserves !!

And so she did .

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm glad for you, Crushed. It's been a long time coming.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Good for you Crushed!  I’m glad you got to be with her and have at least 15 minutes of closeness.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wonderful!
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I am happy you were able to see your DW. Your love story sounds like a fairy tale story book...until it was torpedoed by Alzheimer's Disease.
  • Potsie
    Potsie Member Posts: 45
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Boy, that was a long time. Thanks for sharing. That's so sweet!
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Glad you were able to spend some time with your wife. Many people are still waiting for the opportunity.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    So glad you got to spend that time with your wife.  Hopefully you will have more time more often
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm so glad that you were able to have a 'true' visit. She might not understand, but you do. And for me, that's enough. 

Thanks for sharing.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living