Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Off Topic: Favorite Movie Endings

With the Oscars coming up, I wanted to share some of the all-time best movie endings.

Cinema Paradiso

The parish priest forces a movie projectionists to remove all the kissing scenes from the movies he shows to the villagers.  In a fire, the projectionist losses his sight, but is saved by his young mentee who later becomes a famous but lonely movie director.  This is the gift he leaves to him when he dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TflvNm22cpk

Nebraska

A son returns with his father who has dementia to his hometown in Nebraska.  His father brags about winning a millon dollars in a sweepstakes, which his son tries to explain to the townspeople did not happen.  The son, though, later buys a truck to make it look like his father actually won the sweepstakes and allows his father to drive it down main street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drdrVr-4dBo

Jojo Rabbit

A mother hides a a young Jewish woman during Nazi rule.  Her ten-year old son is enamored with Hitler but slowly develops affections toward the girl.  The girl tells him that when the war is over the first thing she wants to do is dance.  Later, the boy lies and tells her the Germans have won the war.  This is what she does when she finds out that the Allies have won the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfL5V3WHhqM

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I liked Nebraska the best...will watch tonight...thanks!
  • Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Nebraska was indeed one of the great ones.  It did not get the amount of attention that it deserved.  
  • Potsie
    Potsie Member Posts: 45
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Nebraska was a good movie. The wife of the older gentleman was a hoot. I haven't seen the other two.
  • John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

All good endings. I like David Bowie's Heroes at the end of Jojo.  

Off the top of my head, favorite endings:

Saving Private Ryan comes to mind. https://youtu.be/IZgoufN99n8 "Tell me I've led a good life. Tell me I'm a good man." 

Billy Elliott. 

October Sky.

Grand Torino. 

Field of Dreams.

Endings aside, any good movie recommendations?

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Ryan's daughter

Father Collins : Charles? I think you have it in your mind that you and Rosy ought to part. Yeh, I thought as much. Well, maybe you're right and maybe you aren't but I doubt it. And that's my parting gift to you. That doubt.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm not much of a movie watcher, but if I had to pick one it would be "The Sting".  Excellent ending.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Nebraska, is an amazing film on multiple levels - just watched it for the second time last week; just as good the second time.  The ending is well earned. 

For endings, I love Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr in, "An Affair To Remember,"  Sigh.

Lighter ending, "Moonstruck."

Anyone remember Peter Sellers in, "Being There?"

J.

• lolarol
    lolarol Member Posts: 1
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    I wonder if anyone has seen "The Father."  Anthony Hopkins won an oscar for playing the father with dementia.  I would love to see it but I don't know if I should take my DH who has VD.  Any thoughts?
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lolarol, welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here. My wife also has VD. I wouldn't have her watch it, but you know your husband best. If they talk about dementia on the news, I don't turn it off. I just act like it's part of the news.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Hi lolarol. I saw The Father a couple of weeks ago, on Amazon Prime. It's excellent; however, I wouldn't take your DH for two reasons. Firstly, dementia is the sole focus of the film, so may be hard for him to see. Secondly, it would probably be confusing for him as the story revolves around how Anthony Hopkins goes back and forth between how he remembers people, hallucinations etc. I had to concentrate to realize what was real and what was a hallucination, so I think someone with cognitive challenges would find it extra hard.

Try and see it your self though - he deserved to win the Oscar!

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    AOD 
    I'm so glad you mentioned seeing The Father. I watched the trailer Sunday for 5 minutes and cried all day. Everything he said and did...we lived. I will try again though. I really want to see it and I love Anthony Hopkins.

Thanks,

M

• cregsim
    cregsim Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I loved the ending of Forrest Gump
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I think it is indeed from two years ago Victoria. Hard to tell.

• Brigv
    Brigv Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    edited April 2023

Forrest Gump is one of the best films ever! It is on my list of favorite movies. Since I found a free VPN service and started using it, I can watch all the wanted content. And I think Tom Hanks is a great actor. I watched all movies he produced or played in.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My favorite ending is in «A Room with a View.» I found it so sweet and poignant. I’ve seen the movie several times, the ending replayed even more. Sadly, Julian Sands, the romantic lead, has been missing and now probably presumed dead after a lone mountain hike months ago. When will people learn not to take long and challenging hikes alone?

• noranoler
    noranoler Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited April 2023

I will probably watch all three movies!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia