Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can it progress this fast?

My husband was diagnosed less than three months ago with Alzheimer’s. His symptoms are primarily hallucinations. He sees people in our house, he sees two of me, he talks to me in the 3rd person, she did this and she did that. (She is me.). He’s asked me who I am? How long we’ve been married? Who lives in this house? Are we divorced? Are you my sister? He’s slept away from me, careful not to touch me because he thinks I’m a stranger. He’s laid out guest towels for me before I take a shower, etc., etc. Is this progressing rapidly? We have an appointment with a neurologist next month. But, I feel like my health is being affected. He’s perfectly normal for days and then BAM! I can’t take it. No one understands. This is such a nightmare. And this is just the beginning?!

Read Less...

Comments

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Patients who have hallucinations early in their dementia should be evaluated for Lewy Body Dementia instead or, or in addition to Alzheimer's Disease.  Unfortunately, LBD often progresses more quickly than AD.  Everything that you are describing is what happened with my husband who was originally diagnosed with AD.  LBD was an added diagnosis for him.  He died 2-1/2 years later and an autopsy confirmed that he had both AD and LBD (which is not uncommon).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/lewy-body-dementia-has-symptoms-even-worse-than-those-of-alzheimers/2014/12/12/a0ca05a0-69a9-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

• Just Ro
    Just Ro Member Posts: 43
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I understand.  Everyone on this forum understands and we feel your pain.   Everything you said about your husband’s behavior, I’ve been going through with my husband for the last few months. These things just make your head spin.  Especially when your LO can seem completely normal sometimes and then go off the rails and not know who you are; ask you where you went when you are right there; not know their home is their home; think other people live there; pack up all their clothes so they can move back home; etc, etc, etc. There are times, many times, when you think you’re the one with the problem.  After meeting with the Neurologist and discussing the hallucinations, the delusions, and the wandering (yes, he started doing that, too) the doctor prescribed Aricept and Seroquel.  I was hesitant to give him these medications at first, but the sleepless nights were wearing me down and I thought if I go down, we are in deep trouble. Started him on the medications about a month ago and he has responded very well. He is sleeping through the night, no wandering, no more hallucinations and he has much more clarity during the daytime. He knows who I am! He can still be confused about some things,  especially in the evening, and still has minor delusions, but for now, things are much more manageable than they were before medication. I understand these meds don’t work for everyone and the benefits might not last, but so far so good with my husband.  Wishing you the best on this caregiver journey. We understand what you are going through.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Loretta, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. We have a lot of good people here, willing to share what they can, and offer help and suggestions. I'm sorry you have to deal with this now. I have been a member for a little over three years, and I just learned a little more about LBD. There is a wealth of information here, and people really care about each other.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the message boards LorettaP. I'm glad that you've found us. You will find much support and many listening hears here. We are here to help one another along this path. If ever you feel you need immediate information / help please call the ALZ Helpline at 800-272-3900. Ask to speak with a care consultant, the phone is answered 24/7.

Having said that have you been in contact with your local ALZ Chapter? I would encourage you to do so. Hopefully they are offering some virtual support groups you both would benefit from attending.

If you go to the top of this page and click on solutions you will find a list of topics. Pick which one your interested in and click it. There is lots of information available.

As for you, the early days into diagnosis, testing, medical appointments, etc is frankly overwhelming. Yes, it is a nightmare. That is why we are here, to help you through this journey no one wants to be on. Did a neurologist diagnose him? PCP? I would contact them with your concerns. Was he put on any medications? The best thing to do now is to attempt to establish a routine. You will find routine routine routine will be very important as time goes forward.

Ask questions, we are here to support the both of you.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney