Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

what stage...?

Can anyone pin down what stage is characterized by my DW's current symptoms*:

- sundowning

- compulsive/repetitive organizing of clothing, mail, labels, catalogs, over and over, too many categories to list

- refusal to wear Depends despite incontinence; she will take them off and not put anything on...will use pads, but they aren't enough

- messes in bathroom including wiping her hands on the wall, even #2

- trying to go outside with no bottoms on

- increasing temper/has started making fun of me when I talk

- inability to formulate sentences or adequately converse. I compose any messages to her family and then she reads the messages...

- shambling gait...I'm thinking that a walker is in the offing.

- she reads, but the same article over and over...cannot recall anything she reads

-struggles over bathing and dressing

More than any exhaustion or depression these symptoms cause me, it is just heartbreaking (as you all know) to watch her disintegration, and frustration with, well, just about anything...she does love wildlife and spends many quiet hours watching the birds and critters outside our picture window...

* Since 2019 diagnosis, I have taken over her meds, finances, etc. She is on Aricept.

Comments

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

Maybe this will help you.  My two cents (and that's all my guesses are worth these days!) is that your spouse is in stage 6.  

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    I agree with Lills ...I would guess stage 6
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

https://www.dementiacarecentral.com/aboutdementia/facts/stages/

Another website to review/ has average durations too. My guess is stage 6 too 

However I suggest you get her tested for UTI just in case. My mom exhibited a bunch of the symptoms you list  but once treated for urosepsis, moved neck to a stage 4. 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I would also guess stage 6. I didn't even consider a UTI, but it could cause all those symptoms, and it is an easy test to do. If you have one done, ask for them to run a culture on the sample. If there is an infection, that will give them the best information on how to treat it.
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I agree with others -stage 6.  My DH is in stage 6 and it seems the incontinence is getting worse.  Hugs to all- it is very tiring and exhausting
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Attn: Quilting brings calm THANK YOU for posting the link! Wow! Extremely informative on many levels!!!!  Could you  post it again but start a new thread? It has so much helpful info per state. Thank you!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Satch, I’m sorry you and your DW are going through this. It truly is heartbreaking. I hope you both have some peaceful days ahead. Do you have a bird feeder outside your window? My Mom enjoys the birds and squirrels too. It makes her happy even if it is for just a moment.  I wish you well.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Abc123

I added a topic ( per your suggestion) over in the caregivers forum for the stages link.  I put it there because all caregivers would find it useful, not just spouses and partners. 

I’m going to have to go look at the site some more because I usually just refer to the stages and duration.  I don’t know that I’ve read the ‘per state’ material that you mentioned.  Sounds like I’d better make more use of the site myself. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more