Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

learning from stage 8

I now know that I can choose how to  grieve . That doesn't mean that I"m not lonely each day when I realize he's gone.  I cry each morning and say out loud, I"m sorry you had to go through that but honestly I"m  glad you're gone. You're ok now. Then I think of you Lady Texan, and remember to feel grateful, you've always been so good at that.  I also want to mention Michael E.  for asking the question,  what is the good that has come from this experience?.  It has helped me to step back and find that , although painful , it's been a huge learning experience . I have become a better human being and I can accept my flaws without guilt.

Finally to Army Vet you once said that it was your honor to care for Sandy. That is such a powerful statement and to be honest it has taken me a few years to grow into the understanding  of that sentiment.  Thank you for that.

Everyone here has at different times said words of wisdom and inspiration that its too much to mention but I wish to say thank you all.  I have cried with your pain and laughed with your funny stories.  I 'm grateful to have come to know  each of you.

Lastly I have learned perspective.  Our loved ones here are  dying of dementia and we are all family we are not alone  and now I find  I have joined the families of the half million  who passed from Covid  19., and if I look world wide it's well into the millions. I find that  I was lucky to have been there for Jerry. I'm truely not alone  and neither are  any of you. 

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear GM Gypsie.

Thank you for your kind words. Gratitude has pulled me out of the dark abyss on so many occasions. I would be sunk without it. 

One thing that has occurred to me is that some of life's most important lessons, happen during the life's most painful moments. Maybe this is happens in Stage 8 also. 

I love your perspective.

It is amazing how vast and deep the body of knowledge on this forum is. Strangers who are brought together during one of life's most challenging circumstances share and support each other. It is indeed a family. You are such an important and special part of this family. Thank you for sharing and being part of the family and sharing your wisdom. I am grateful for you.

Jerry was blessed to have you as his caregiver. You fought the good fight. Know that you are loved. Know that you are special. Know that I am a better person for having you on this journey with me.

God bless you,

-LT

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

Dear GM Gypsie,

Thank you for sharing what you’ve learned from Stage 8. Your words are comforting grace in action. Finding a little peace and sharing the lessons you’ve found powerful from others, and now sharing your own story is why I keep coming back to this site. Although each of our loved one’s experience is unique (as are our own strengths and weaknesses as care givers)  the need for understanding from others in this community is great and powerful. Hugs to you!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more