Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Retired service dog is 13 tomorrow. Happy Birthday, girl!

A happy thing for me: the service dog who was my partner for 10 plus years will turn 13 yrs old tomorrow, April 15.

She was the best partner and enabled me function and engage in society.

I trained her myself with assistance from professionals and experienced handlers.  It took two years.  I will not be modest about her excellent training, because it was a lot of hard work on a daily basis.

She flew with me.  We traveled often on subway and train and buses and in cars.

She learned to "wave" so children did not feel too sad that they could not pet her while she was working.

She was with me at my wedding to my current spouse.  So were several other service dog teams.  It was a terrific day.

She was excellent with the public.  Once a child jumped on her and tried to ride her like a horse.   She merely sat and the child slid off.

I miss having her as my partner, but even at her age, she continues to help me at home.  One of her favorite tasks is to pick up dropped items.  Nothing makes her tail wag harder, except perhaps meals.

Happy Birthday, my love!

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

What a wonderful looking dog!  She was a great help to you.  You did a great job with training.  I'm going to show you a cute video about a Jack Russell.  

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PztO-OvzRyg?rel=0

Iris

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

KawKaw,

She is a beautiful dog one you surly can be proud of. She will always be your helper she loves you and thats all she knows. 

Give your partner a Big Hug from me. Hugs Zetta 

• KawKaw
    KawKaw Member Posts: 58
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

What a fun video, IrisL!

What great training!  I really enjoyed seeing how happy the terrier is to do his tasks/tricks.

It's like having a job and many dogs need or want that.
    Thanks for posting it!
  • KawKaw
    KawKaw Member Posts: 58
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you, ladyzetta.  

She is very dear to me.  Her physical health is good, though she is experiencing weakness in her hind legs.

She continues to be what others described as pathologically happy.  : )

I feel blessed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney