Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to get LO to keep on Depends?

abc123
abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. 

She is taking off the Depends more and more, soiling/wetting the bed and furniture. My Dad can hardly keep up with this problem.

Comments

• vtgsell
    vtgsell Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

I have nothing helpful but wanted to commiserate.  I find them on the bedpost, under the covers, by the bed, all over the bathroom floor.  Only place I don't find them is the trashcan (and the toilet... gratitude.).  

My mom was wearing them all day, but I switched her to normal underwear for daytime because she only needed them at night and I wanted her to feel more normal.  I suspect that worked well, too well, now she fights them at night and every night they disappear. 

Good luck.

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    My husband did this.  I purchased anti-strip clothing.  Buckandbuck.com or silverts.com
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I told DW they were the same as the Kotex pads she had as a teenager but more comfortable.

It worked

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Our problem is just the opposite. She does not want to change them, even if they weigh 15 pounds. If her clothes become wet, then she will change. But when she gets a shower, she gets all clean clothes. The dirty ones disappear.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Ed, that’s our situation here. Lately I can’t het her to change them, and showers are getting few and farther in between.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    David, my wife doesn't mind if I'm in the bathroom with her if she just has to pee. She was in there this morning, using the toilet, and I told her she had to change her underwear. She was not going to do it, so I told her it was not optional. She refused again. So I grabbed her shoes, and pulled them off. I told her she was going to change them, one way or another. Then I took her socks and pants off. At that point, she kind of knew she was not going to win, and she pulled her underwear off. So this is my new technique until it no longer works.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more