Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

VENT: Caregiving & Home Repair

Yesterday the front door knob quit working. I took it apart, cleaned the innards and then dusted it with graphite and put it back together. It still didn't work. After consulting Google, I determined the problem was the latch part of the mechanism. I took it apart, cleaned all the parts and consulted Google again. Per Google, I needed a new latch. Off I went to the hardware store (HomeDepot). The helpful associate informed me that they don't sell just the latch part, although I may be able to contact the manufacturer for a replacement. Since the issue is with the front door, I didn't want to wait for the new part and spent $110 on an all new front door knob set up. I got home and unboxed the new set up and found NO instructions. ARGH!!! I'll go on line to try to find the how to but DARN, it keeps getting harder and harder just to have a functioning front door.

I forgot to mention that I did call for help yesterday. 

1. Text one to brother for guidance. 
  2. Call two to a locksmith who was too busy and referred me to another locksmith. 
  3. Call three to the locksmith referred by locksmith one. Locksmith two never answered the phone and did not have voice mail. 
  4. Call four to the senior center to request assistance from the handy man. The handy man has not called me back and its nearly noon the following day.
Meanwhile DH is continuously ranting about how ridiculous it is that I was unable to find assistance from a locksmith......btw I am aware it is ridiculous. All I want is for DH to keep the dog in the man cave so I can figure out this new project that I am undertaking. Of course I asked DH for his help in this regard. As I am sure you guessed by now, DH has already let the dog out of the man cave. DH is listening to Alexa loudly. He tells Alexa to skip every song in his favorites. This has been a daily ordeal.....what's the point of requesting favorites, just to skip all the songs in the favorites, I wonder. I put on the ear phones I used to wear to drown out his snoring. Next week this might be humorous, but its not funny yet.
Thank you for allowing me to VENT. On the inside, I am screaming out loud. I feel like the short and stout tea pot.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    You should have gotten instructions in the box. Are you certain they are not in there somewhere? Sometimes what seems like the bottom of the box might actually lift up, and the instructions are in there. Check to make sure. If you can't find any, and Home Depot is not too far, take it back for one that has instructions. Finally a last resort attempt to get instructions - call the manufacturer to see if they don't have instructions for downloading or reading online. Hope you get it figured out soon.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Oh, LT, I feel your pain. I long for the days when problems like this were solved very easily by telling DH this needs fixing. Not only do you wear the caregiver hat, you also wear the handyman hat as well as many other hats. Sending (((HUGS)))
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

A+ for effort LT.  I have learned so much about home repair from my partner in her pre-dementia days, but door hardware is a tough one even for the pros.  I am an instructions reader too but have no patience for these tedious little jobs...my partner on the other hand never read the instructions, but would tinker endlessly until she figured it out.

I do find that most instructions are available online these days however, maybe that will help.

Think how good your'e gonna feel if/when you figure it out!!!!  Fingers crossed for you.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The door knob and lock are substantially complete (functioning as intended). I will have my brother do a quality control and help me drill a hole for the base plate. I am feeling accomplished. I even made DH a hot meal for lunch. Good news, he did not reject today's meal.

No instructions were in the box but I found some online. I did not understand the instructions so I watched a YouTube video which helped so much.

Thanks for cheering me on everyone. 

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm applauding you, Lady Texan. These home repairs can be so stressful. There are tons of things around here I'm learning to do, but each little chore stresses me out because I worry that I'll have problems in the middle - like you did - and DH will obsess over it until it's fixed. I recently replaced the latch on our screen door. I looked at that latch for several days until I got up the nerve to replace it.

Others may say these things are easy - and I have no doubt they are if you've done it before. But when it's my first time doing something, no matter how EASY it may be, it's just not EASY!

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I congratulate you all for the efforts. Many things are very simple if you just think about them and look at the carefully. Th internet is great sours for information these days.  

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Between my husband's dementia, moving to a rural area, and COVID, I am so proud of the skills I have developed. Lady Texan, I hope that you can be proud too (even if it is tomorrow).

I installed an electronic deadbolt and paired it with our WiFi. Practically a miracle. YouTube was a critical aid.

I am learning how to put in a drip system, am adept and catching mice (in mouse traps) and disposing of them, operate a chain saw, have mastered using a drill and wall anchors. Not huge stuff, but I could not do these things a year ago. 

This journey toughens us in many ways.

I hope your tomorrow is better.

• Ed1937
    JoseyWales wrote:

Others may say these things are easy - and I have no doubt they are if you've done it before. But when it's my first time doing something, no matter how EASY it may be, it's just not EASY!

I feel the same way about cooking. And I've been at it for about 1 1/2 years now. It's still hard!

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Ed, maybe we should trade home repairs for home cooked meals!
  • Ed1937
    I'd jump on that in a New York minute.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Grrrrrr.  These scenarios drive me crazy.  I was lucky last week that my front door latch failed WHILE THE HANDYMAN WAS HERE.  When does that ever happen?  Probably my one good break this year?

BTW, did you know that you can set up Alexa Playlists?  Tell her to set up a playlist for "Bob" and then add whatever songs he likes best.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Good for you, Lady Texan!  It is so frustrating when things break around the house and DH can no longer fix them.  You hung in and got it done!
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Good for you, Lady Texan.  

Several years ago I discovered the amazing value of Youtube videos for home repair projects.  Not for me, because I'm dangerous with what I call 'the three dimensional world', but for my DH who was amazing at building and home repairs.

There are videos for absolutely everything.  The trick sometimes is finding a good video.  People sometimes post some videos that aren't very good, I've found.

Videos for repairing our garage door opener, for installing a new electronic panel on our washing machine (which we bought at an amazing price from E-bay!), and many other Youtube videos helped DH with many projects.

I've also found several companies that post repair manuals on line (in addition to those posted by the manufacturer).  I've found those for DH, as well.  

Regards, Elaine

• feudman
    feudman Member Posts: 59
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

RE: Door Latchsets from HE**:

I had one that made a fool out of everyone who tried to figure it out. I spent more time than I care to admit before waving the white flag. The sales guy at Lowes had a go at it. Then my friend Mikey who installs doors for Lowes was the next victim. Followed by a few well meaning handy neighbors & friends. Bombarding it with foul language didnt even help. That well-cursed latchset is somewhere in my house (hopefully never to surface) & my door has a different lockset & a blowout patch on it. For years now!

Does that make you feel any better LT? You stuck at it, congrats. I'm done!

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

You Tube videos are a huge blessing to me! It seems there is a video on how to repair/replace just about everything!

Sorry about the lock. 

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am amazed at all the information that can be had on google and YouTube. In addition to the life-saving home repair instructions and day-to-day hacks, the most unusual facts can be uncovered.  A “for instance”: I was noticing tiny pin holes in the waist area of some of my favorite tee shirts.  Moths? Washing machine damage?  I discussed this dilemma with my hairdresser and she had the same complaint.  Upon Google investigation, I discovered that the button area of my denim jeans caused friction against the cotton tee shirt material and thus the tiny holes.  The solution was to purchase shirts made with American grown Pima cotton. (Or tuck the shirts into the jeans, but that isn’t going to happen!) They are slightly more pricey, but problem solved.  Off topic, but food for thought.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more