Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Replace every window? Need homeowner advice, perspective.

Has anyone ever heard of this; every window in a house being replaced? The insurance company and two other companies evaluated our windows and all agreed that every window needs replaced due to hail damage. They've been excellent quality windows. The frames are dented from hail. But every single window to be completely replaced with "new construction"? Is this reasonable? The amazing thing is, our insurance says they'll cover it.

I know nothing about windows and construction, but our house was well built; windows closed tightly, no wind leakage, were solid and good quality windows. How do I ensure an equivalent quality replacement job is done? Is it really possible for them to be replaced without damaging our 33 yr old cedar siding?

Big house, many windows, a life time's worth of stuff in some rooms/basement will make it hard to get to the windows from inside the house.

I'm overwhelmed at the thought of every window needing to be removed and replaced and managing/supervising this myself. Have you ever heard of this being done?

Thanks....

Comments

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Yes, storycrafter, we replaced every window in our last house about 5-6 years ago.  

Our house was about 25 years old and the original windows weren't top quality, and had lost most effectiveness at keeping out cold drafts and insulating against summer heat.

We replaced them with nearly top-of-the-line windows that could be cleaned easily, inside and out.  We used the company that had installed new windows for us, and had painted the entire house.  The company was highly recommended on Angie's List (a website that solicits and tabulates local member recommendations for various services from medical to house repairs).

The installers were amazing, quiet, and did everything in one day.  We had HUGE windows, floor to ceiling, 10 feet wide, etc.  I don't remember the cost, but it was worth it.

We sold that house about 5 years later, and the new windows were an excellent selling point.

Elaine

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hello Storycrafter. I am sorry you are going through this.

DH and I were considering replacing the windows in one of our vintage homes several years ago. The situation was different because we were looking for energy savings. We were not faced with damage from hail. I recall when we received the quote for the replacements, the price was very high at approximately $1,000 per window. The salesman suggested that we do the replacement in stages. For example, north facing windows then 6 months later, the other side and then the other side until all was complete. It was a non-issue because we had 25 windows and didn't have the money.

In your case, it sounds like the insurance company is on board. Be sure to read and understand your policy. Our regular insurance policy was limited to to $100 to $200 per window in the event of damage. Your policy is likely different.

Because your insurance company is involved, they have a vested interest in ensuring the job is done correctly. When I had hurricane damage to another one of my vintage homes, the insurance company came out several times to inspect the work as it was being done. If the insurance company was not satisfied with the work, they would not pay the contractor until the deficiency was remedied.

I recommend:

• Talk to your neighbors who may be having a similar experience since this is related to a weather event.
    • Ask your insurance agent for guidance. 
    • Ensure you have a strong contract with whichever contractor you select. 
    • Ask the contractor if they will move your furniture away from the windows or if that is your responsibility.

Home repairs and home improvement are outside my comfort level. I know how stressful they can be. Good luck. 

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Yes, this (or very similar) happens a lot where I live in Florida, because of hurricanes, especially in houses that do not have the relatively new storm-proof windows, much stronger than the older ones. Usually insurance drives the replacement. The windows are not cheap, but insurance without them can be worse. The problem for many has been that the demand outpacsezmthe supply, and it can take a while.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Also, and this is very important BEWARE of the fly by night contractors. These schemers seem to appear out of nowhere when a weather event causes significant damage. Get referrals from people you trust. Make sure the contractor you select is insured (and licensed if necessary). Look at the contractor's insurance documentation to ensure it is valid in your region and current (not expired).
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Replacement windows are fairly easy job. Yes, it can (and should) be done with no damage to the siding. Just find a reputable contractor that is licensed and fully insured. Window trim - may need to remove inside trim, but that can be done without replacing it with new trim because it can be done without ruining the existing trim. It can then be replaced, if removed. In many cases it will not have to be removed at all.

New construction windows have nailing fins, which are nailed to the construction from the outside, which will likely require cutting into existing siding, and maybe to the interior wall. Replacement windows are typically screwed into the construction from the side, not requiring messing with siding. Nailing into the outside of the construction might lead to better air infiltration control, but when replacing windows, replacement windows are typically used to avoid problems with siding and inside walls. 

I would suggest using replacement windows through a reliable contractor. Although they might not be quite as good as keeping outside elements at bay, they can be very good at doing that job if installed correctly. Again, make sure you use a licensed and fully insured reputable contractor. Maybe you should ask the insurance company why they want to use new construction windows. New construction windows are used for new construction, and not typically for existing construction unless there is rot or other damage to the construction.

Edit: AND if you are going to be responsible for part of the cost, get at least three estimates. Like CELAs, prices can vary quite a bit for the same quality work.

• King Boo
    King Boo Member Posts: 302
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Likes

Did you initiate the evaluation because of the damage?   Or did someone come aknocking on your door, looking to do a 'free inspection'?  Be very suspect if this is the case.

Window replacements have a lot of fly by night in the industry, leaving flyers, knocking on the doors, etc.  They particularly target older person.

Ask yourself some questions:

1.  Is this going to cause problems down the road later?  Drafts, leaks, problems with re-sale.

2.  Is this really necessary?

personally, under the rigours of caregiving, we are all sitting ducks with our emotions and very vulnerable.   I would not tackle this project unless I was convinced it is necessary.

If they approached you - BEWARE.  If you initiated it - do your research.

We have roofers that come around offering to do 'free inspections' - of course, they always find damage they recommend be replaced.

Get a second opinion from a Certified Home Inspector.  

• feudman
    feudman Member Posts: 59
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

Hi storycrafter:

I'm a 98% retired exterior remodeling contractor, after 45 years in the business. I installed  thousands of windows and all types of siding during that span. I also happen to have a 33 year old house that I built with cedar siding (even on the interior walls!). I will send you a connection invite. If you give me specifics & pics I will be glad to advise you.

I will add that over years, I dealt with insurance adjusters, on wind & hail damage claims, and they were never as capricious at covering entire roofs, 4 walls of siding, or all windows in a house that was old enough to be needing (or soon needing) those components replaced anyway. But in the past 3-4 years, I've seen it time & again. There's a new breed of independent appraisers that "work with" specific contractors as a team. In the business, they're known as "storm chasers." I recently had a claim where they replaced very expensive automatic skylights simply because they had a few minuscule dents in the aluminum frames! Who cares? You cant even notice with binoculars. It's crazy. But of course, homeowners love getting a practically free job. They just dont realize that we will all pay for this in much higher premiums. 

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

If the windows are still "tight" They probably don't  "need" replacing.  My wooden windows are 33 years old   two needed replacement for frame rot and one wrhere the double glazing failed.  However my insurance company paid for a brand new replacement of my 30 year old roof. First class local contractor who showed me why full replacement was needed after high wind damage.

Hail and metal windows can be a long term problem  Id replace them if they say so. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You have received some excellent advice here. I have a couple of things I'd like to add though.

Since insurance has said they'd pay for them  - what is the timeline? In my experience insurance 'usually' gives you one year to complete the work. That can be in your favor as you won't feel so rushed to have the job done. 

The other thing is having a city permit for the work being done. Make certain that whomever is replacing the windows handles that detail for you. 

Yes it is overwhelming to think about. Don't rush into a decision, but look at various replacement companies & see what they have to offer.

eagle

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you so much, everyone! Very helpful feedback. I will re-read and study your replies.

It WAS originally one of those suspicious people who stop by offering a free inspection. I had also just spoken with a neighbor who had to replace their roof and found out other neighbors needed to do the same. So I contacted our insurance company for evaluation. I had the roof replaced last summer and am now finally dealing with the windows.

I'm not sure I have the energy or gumption right now to deal, but I really need to rise to it because time is marching on. We have about five months left, if that.

I'm coming out from under dealing with my deceased father's estate. The window stuff hit at the time my Alz father suddenly fell and within a month he was gone. So I had to leave the windows negotiations to my husband (early/slow progressing FTD) while dealing with everything for my dad.

I also had to clear my parents' apartment within a month, packing and moving the contents to our house. Now our house is a disaster inside with boxes all over and furniture, much of which I've gotten rid of already, which is good. But a great deal to still deal with. I've got files all over the kitchen table, sorting my dad's lifetime of paperwork. Two days ago forced myself to really dig into it and get it done. Picked up an envelope and inside was a letter from my dad about a life insurance policy for my siblings and I that he'd written years ago for us to find. (All my sibs but one live out of state and none of them has been able to come help because of the pandemic.)

Suddenly seeing his familiar handwriting and personal note, his caring for us beyond the grave, did me in and I just sat there and blubbered. I managed to share the info with my siblings by cell phone pics, and filled out the insurance company claims forms, but that was all. I felt exhausted the rest of the day. That was only one of the many envelopes and information to wade through. So much for my big plans to get the table and counters cleared that day. Ha!

I cannot trust my ill husband's judgement all the time and don't know if his communications with the insurance and window companies is solid. But now I need to focus on it before time runs out. Your responses have been very helpful and I'll use the information as I move forward. Thank you again!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    ROFL, so funny, Victoria! "in one year they pay for themselves" LOL

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia