Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

TV options

JDancer
JDancer Member Posts: 454
Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
We are having issues with our cable provider and I was hoping to change to something cheaper. But I'm not sure my DH can handle a change. Does anyone have a simple set up that provides lots of sports and a DVR option? TV is one of the few activities he has left, but we're currently paying way too much and have had some service issues as well.

Comments

• John_inFlorida
    John_inFlorida Member Posts: 51
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    We use Spectrum here, and have a cheaper option but its streaming, You get local channels and your pick of 10 other channels. Its cheaper but uses an App on your start TV. I decided not to get it as there would be no cable box and I didnt think DW could figure out how to use an App on the TV. Dont know if your DH could or not. Oh that option does not have DVR capability
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I have no experience with it, but FuboTV advertises sports and other channels starting at $64.99. You can get free trials from several different places to try. It might help if you tell everyone what you expect to pay.
  • aannaa
    aannaa Member Posts: 31
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Maybe something like Firestick??
  • sophirolr
    sophirolr Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments
    Yes, my family has been using Firestick for a long time and it's so cool.  I recently stumbled upon a https://www.firesticktricks.com/free-sports-streaming-sites.html article and also decided to connect sports channels because my dad loves it. In general, we like to watch football, tennis and basketball the most. My cousin often comes to us and then we spend the whole day in front of the TV watching sports channels. So you can also try this
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Here is my experience this week for what it is worth to you: 
    My mom’s TV quit working( supposedly - they didn’t give me a chance to check it out).  So step-dad went out and bought her a new one.  Roku ready..  We’ve already had the following issues in a week: 

Remote doesn’t have channel numbers.  Only channel arrows  to go up and down 

- she and the AL maintenance guy and the office manager said  new TV quit working two days in. Turned out she had switched the new TV remote with the Roku remote  for the TV in the other room.  Her I get- but the staff couldn’t figure this out? took me a just a minute or two. Makes me wonder if the old TV actually quit working  
    - staff didn’t  show her how to find her cable channels.  I did.  Multiple times. It’s not as easy as you might think 
    - her onscreen  guide ( once found) shows the cable channel numbers but not the channel name or what’s on.  I don’t know why.  Office  manager says it would eventually.  Ha!  I don’t have their cable and I don’t have a Roku TV nor even just their brand of TV
    She tells me she doesn’t use anything but the cable channels. So having a TV that shows a bunch of apps and icons on the screen that you have to click on the ‘Live TV’ one to get to your cable channels is probably going to make watching tv a chore for her and an aggravation for my dad.  He doesn’t know how to change the channels on the other tv( the one he watches).  He watches one show over and over on  the UP  channel on the Roku stick. 
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I have Netflix and it is pretty good,but it is an app and dw can't figure out how to get there. Our TV has a great TV guide which shows what's on the over the air channel and it has a memory to save your favorite channels. But again, navigating to it is a problem. I also downloaded the roku app on the TV lots of free stuff. Also our smart tv came with something call tv+ which is a lot of free channels. I don't want to advertise the brand. But we now have 2 of these tvs.  But all of this needs a pretty good internet connection, we just got fiber a couple months ago and thst stopped the occasional buffering we used to have.  Roku is free, netflix is 10 no contract pay monthly, we also have prime but I find it is more about them selling us a movie, I don't recommend it.
  • May flowers
    May flowers Member Posts: 758
    500 Comments Third Anniversary

When my FIL was first having issues with the remote and since we did streaming, DH set up a device (can’t remember what it was called). As long as we turned on the TV, all he had to do is say “Google, play the History channel” for example and it would go there. It worked well for a while. 

I think we use DirectTV streaming since it carries Bally sports (and our favorite baseball team).  

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    I have been wanting to change providers for better pricing. I niched streaming because of her ability to understand how it works and the change in the remotes. She spends too much time watching TV.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,444
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Just like law , TV choice is almost all local 

one thought call a local sports bar   talk to whoever does their TV connection
    Tell them your situation   They will know, 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney