Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My husband has dental appointment

He went for a teeth cleaning and the dentist found 2 cavities and we have appointment for filling and another cleaning.  I am concerned how he’ll react to drill.  The cleaning 6 months ago went fairly well but he did have trouble with the water they shoot into your mouth.  He is 80 and my best guess is late middle stage.  Suggestions?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to the forum.Sorry you have a need to be here, but we have a lot of good people here, willing to help with decisions or techniques whenever possible. 

That's a tough one. How many years does he have left? How long will it be before he has pain from the cavities? I tend to stay away from anything that doesn't really have to be done, but you have to guess at that. Good luck with your choice. What would happen if he couldn't stand the drill? Maybe you should ask the dentist what he would do if that happened? You wouldn't want him to have a hole partially drilled, and not be able to complete the job.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I'd ask the dentist for ideas. Maybe some medication to relax him before the fillings? Maybe a visit with a sedation dentist if he can't complete the work?
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi TDdrinker, just went through this with my partner who is stage 5 and also 80.  Went for first cleaning in a year, had a broken back molar that needed extraction and another that needed a crown.   At her reqeust, they did both procedures in one day---but I won't do it again.  She almost came apart by the end of it.  I don't even think I'll likely take her back for routine cleanings, but don't have to cross that bridge till October.  If I had to do it over again, I'd make two visits and just do one at a time.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Work can be done while the patient is completely sedated.  Discuss with the dentist.  

Iris L.

• Tdrinker46
    Tdrinker46 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thanks for telling your experience.  He doesn’t take any drugs/medicine.  I mention this because I thought his primary care might prescribe something.  Will ask dentist exactly what they are fixing and what will happen if not fixed.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    There's a dental school in my town, and with a dentist referral, patients with special needs can be sedated/anesthetized and have all their work done at once while they are out. I doubt this is what you need at this point, but wanted to point out something like that may be an option, even if you opt to avoid/omit now and something more develops that has to be dealt with later.
  • billwho
    billwho Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary

My friend was losing her teeth so i got her to the dentist. The dr removed the few remaining ones and made her a temporary denture until her gums healed.
    She is living in a memory care facility so i pick her up to go dentist. Well after two weeks the denture was missing and nowhere to be found. she doesn't even remember what it looked like.

A replacement will cost $400.00, If she can't keep track of her denture what can i do to help.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more