Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How Google Could Help People Living with Dementia

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I completely agree Michael. I bought the nest mini 2 years ago thinking that it will help. 

It helps for radio or music. Just have to say « he google, turn on the radio » and we have our favorite channel. Sometimes I also use it to get information such as « how long lives a squirrel ». 

But I bought it for the agenda. I was thinking it will remind my partner’s appointments and important things to do. He was never able to correctly ask the right questions, even if I wrote them on a white board near it. And the reminder is just a color that appears on the light. It won’t help him. 

So, I rent a proactive agenda https://www.agendaa2.fr/ that is specially designed for people with dementia. It helps. When there is an appointment, or something else on his agenda such as the aid venue, it rings till it detects a face, then it speaks and tell what and when is the event. I can also put reminders that will stay on the screen. The professionals who comes or have appointments with him put them directly through the apps site. It facilitates his agenda management.

It has been useful, but unfortunately now my partner doesn’t always follow the rules. If the appointments are on the screen before the time at which it rings, he will leave the house (sometimes 1 hour before) to go there. He also can listen the message and stay home. Moreover, now, he less and less go out alone. So now I am not sure I will continue with this. 

Compared to the rent we pay for this agenda, The google hub will be paid after 3 months, so I begin to think to buy it and try. 

And for sure it could help us in many ways. I also have plenty of ideas 

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Michael, I don't see much help.  PWDs have trouble with thinking.  For example, they can ask, "what is the weather?"  But knowing the weather will not help a PWD know to put on a jacket or to carry an umbrella.   You and I can ask Google for information and make use of the response.  But most PWDs can't.  Many caregivers don't understand the depth of cognitive disability present.  

Iris

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    We have an alexa from amazon. My husband uses it all the time.  He may have trouble asking it to play something but there are times I am amazed at the music he has asked it to play.  For my husband it was a great purchase!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more