Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How Google Could Help People Living with Dementia

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,745
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

A very timely post for me. 

I fell...yelled for help...no one heard me. 

I thought I would get one and tell it to "call for help"

I think I will get one from my local Best Buy and give it a through test.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Judith, I am so sorry; so hope you did not hurt yourself.  Just a heads up . . . .  IF alexis or whatever other device can hear you, it can hopefully get a call to a help entity or family member   However; we are not always in the same room or outside in the yard with such a device.    Really better coverage for safety would be with a medical alert call button on a necklace or wrist option.  I think that earlier, Consumer Reports actually did an  article on them with positives and negatives re companies that provide that service.

This is so important.  A dear elderly friend fell in her laundry room.  She was unable to get up and sat leaning against the washing machine most of the day.  She managed to drag herself into the kitchen but could not reach water, food or her phone.

The next day, she managed to drag herself into the living room; but could not reach her phone.  There she stayed for several days with no one to help.   Then she heard someone on her front porch; it was a fellow from a business putting circulars in doors or on porches. 

My friend called out for help, but her voice was by this time very, very weak.  The young man had left the porch, but he thought he heard something, so he went back to the porch and called out asking if anything was wrong . . . my friend was able to call "help" again. Police were called and an ambulance came.

My friend was in the hospital for weeks with kidney and other issues being without water for so long, etc.  Then onto rehab.  The first thing she did when she got home was to order the medical alert system with a call button that she could wear. However; she had long term effects from her experience and had to have someone be with her for care as she continued to be very weak; never really recovering herself to her prior accident state.  She also was really traumatized by what had happened.  Heartbreaking.

Anyway . . . . medical alert system best safety measure when living alone and at risk.

J.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Oh no, I hope you weren't hurt, Judith!  Yes, you do need a medic alert button with fall alert.  And you must wear it.  It can be worn around the neck or on the wrist.  My 89 year old neighbor has one but doesn't want to wear it.  I'm always reminding her to wear it.  It's a good idea to remind yourself about fall prevention and take the steps suggested.  Also, carry a whistle.  

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney