Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Last night was a good night

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
We rarely watch a movie. Last night I was checking out Netflix, and saw that they had K-9 available. We saw the movie before, but decided to watch it again. That resulted in nothing short of an enjoyable evening. She seemed to follow the whole movie. Sometimes I think she is in stage 6, but I didn't think stage 6 patients could follow something that well. That goes in the "Win" column.

Comments

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed for the win! Happy for you. 

We have had a rough couple weeks due to a UTI wrecking havoc , but now things are going back to baseline. Two nights In a row my husband has gone back to his 8:00 bed time and I can channel surf on the TV. It’s the little things that keep us sane...

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So nice that that happened Ed!  Probably feels like old times.  I find that watching old/repeat movies works fairly frequently, she can't really follow anything new/complicated/stressful, she gets upset if there's any suspense or tension in the plot line.  So I have to choose carefully and watch things I want to watch on my own time.  But it's worth it for the companionship, for sure.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    K-9....I will put that on my list. Any way you can watch that every night or any old movies. Movies with little plot and some good scenery.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Fantastic Ed! I love it when there is a WIN!!! Thank you for sharing.

DH doesn't like watching TV with me anymore. We have always gravitated toward different genres. Here's a funny true story. When I decorate for Christmas, I like to turn on Love Actually which is a romantic Christmas comedy. This year DH wanted to watch something else. I don't recall if it was Platoon or Apocalypse Now. It definitely was not a Christmas classic. That's but one example of the accommodations that happen in our dementia house hold.

Thanks again for sharing the win!

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Yay! A win! Glad you got to enjoy the movie with her. My DH keeps the TV on for the company/noise. Sometimes when I get home from work he has a Spanish speaking channel on, neither of us speak Spanish.  He does seem to brighten up a bit when I tune on the Golden Girls.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

It's so wonderful when the wins happen, out of nowhere!

DH and I loved watching movies, specifically independent and/or foreign films. We also loved the "scandi noir" type crime series on Netflix, Acorn etc. It took me a while to realize that he couldn't read the subtitles anymore, or follow the plot. Right up until moving to MC, though, he loved watching films/TV with subtitles.  When I watched with him, he'd often pretend he knew what was going on, and I'd go along with what he said, even though it was never remotely accurate!

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Really thrilled for you, Ed.  All wins are big in our worlds.
  • Lp57$
    Lp57$ Member Posts: 34
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Ed that is great!  Those wins are so nice!  Thanks for sharing and I am glad you guys had a good night!
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    So happy for you Ed. Yes, that's a score. I find we watch Hallmark channel. Let's face it, each movie is almost the same therefore DH can follow it through.

eagle

• Paul&Me
    Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Happy to hear of a pleasant evening for the two of you. I was thinking of posting about a similar evening. I skimmed through listings on TCM and set to record several movies. We watched "Oh, God!" the other night, from 1977. The slow-moving plot kept his attention, and we loved seeing the gold appliances, loud wallpaper, and actors we remembered. (George Burns, Teri Garr, John Denver) We saw a preview of "Singin' in the Rain" that will air and record this evening, and Paul said he would watch it with me too. Another good movie he enjoyed with me was "Back to the Future".
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Good for you Ed! It’s so nice to hear this. Thank you for letting us know.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more