Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Lunch with DW

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I brought lunch in to DW.  Fish sticks, yogurt, Ensure and cookies I made . I hand fed her.  Her hair is down to her shoulders, just like on on our first date in 1972.  She has not had an intelligible word in over a year.  She does not respond to spoken "commands".  If you need her to stand up you take her hands a pull gently. Put food at her mouth and she will open up and chew.  She can walk aimlessly by herself.  She looks at me puzzled, without a shred of recognition. She seems in distress but I don't know why. She looks lovely.   She is 68.

What a woman she was!  Summa *$%& laud in math, physician, computer genius, feminist activist, skier , ice skater, scuba diver, animal photographer, Founding fellow of her medical specialty, mother and grandmother. Top medical position in her field in the US government. She was a hard working genius who needed a "homemaker" and I got the job.   She adored her children and we took them everywhere our work took us.    And she was my "loving companion and companionable lover".  She would get the children asleep in the "cab over" area of the RV and come back to me and say "I hope you are still awake". I was always awake 

I don't know why we do what we do. Our life together is long over. The shell left behind is not her.  She loses interest in me and walks away

Comments

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    I am glad you were able to have lunch with your wife.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

This disease is so cruel.

I am glad you were able to have lunch together. The memories of your life before Alzheimer's are beautiful. I hope they bring you comfort.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Such profound loss.  What a magnificent love you had.  What was and what is walk hand in hand, neither canceling the other.

It is as LT says.  This disease is so cruel.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    If only everyone could have the marriage you and DW shared.  How wonderful.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    When I spotted the topic, I knew it was you, Crushed. Your faithfulness to your wife is enviable. Life never seems to hand us what we planned on. You have great memories and a good family that I hope will give strength.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Your story is a true love story. You are inspiring, your wife was lucky to have found you and she you.
  • Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Crushed, thanks for sharing this. It's a very welcome reminder to remember the person you fell in love with, especially during the trying times.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more