Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

is this incontinence

caberr
caberr Member Posts: 211
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Last night my husband had a small accident before he got out of bed to pee.  Then he peed all over the toilet.  He was upset I was trying to stay calm and said it was ok just an accident. I  cleaned up, changed the sheets had him wash up.  I suggested today that he wear depends at night, just in case.  He seems to be ok with it but says he wants to go to the urologist.  He is on meds for overactive bladder but last visit to urologist said he was fine. 

We are still away and are planning on visiting my brother and then my mom on our way home.  I will buy depends and hope he will wear them at night.  I'm afraid this may be the beginning of  incontinence.  And feel sad! 

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    True incontinence?  Not so sure.  But do buy the depends for the rest of the trip.  Once you are back home, he will hopefully go back to his "normal".  It is not unusual for PWD to have bathroom accidents when away from home on a trip and in strange environments.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I think June is right. Prepare for the rest of your trip, and hope for the best.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Good planning re the issue while visiting.  There are incontinence briefs that are gray and look just like men's underwear.  Your husband may have a physical issue causing the urinary problem which seems to be a new onset.

A UTI can cause this; sometimes it can be related to urge incontinence with a bit of overflow caused by an overfull bladder where one does not get to the bathroom quite in time; seems with that sort of "leakage," that once one gets in view of the toilet, the bladder feels it can somewhat let a bit loose.  Not a happy event, and I am sorry for your husband's understandable upset.

Once home, a visit to the urologist and checking his urine for an infection will be able to provide necessary information and assistance.

Let us know how it goes, we will be thinking of you.

J.

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    It could very well be the beginning of incontinence.  My husband used to have urinary accidents during the night, and then eventually didn't know how to use a toilet.
  • caberr
    Thanks everyone, as always appreciate the suggestions and support!
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    My DH has been wearing the briefs for awhile now, but lately he does not know where the bathroom is and will not sit down to pee like he used to.  I am afraid we are going into true incontinence as I am changing so many pads and briefs during the day now.  Very sad here too!
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Is this incontinence?  No, it's probably due to the stress from travel.  Depends are a good idea to protect your host's mattresses, and reassess after 2 weeks back at home.  Good luck.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    caberr wrote:

He is on meds for overactive bladder but last visit to urologist said he was fine. 

---

Medications for overactive bladder work the OPPOSITE of anticholinergic memory loss drugs.  You have to be very cautious about medications that make cognition worse.  Not all doctors and urologists pay attention to this.  My doctor did.  I was on medication for OAB.  My doctor immediately discontinued it when I received my cognitive impairment diagnosis.  I was upset, because I believed I needed that medication.  But I needed my memory more.  

Does he have prostate issues?  He may need other treatment in this area.  Iris

• caberr
    Iris L...when he went on the meds for OAB the dr assured that the medication he was giving him did not interfere (if that is the correct word) with the brain and other meds he is on for ALZ.  The neurologist is aware of this medication but I will ask her when we go back next month.  Thank you for mentioning this.
  • caberr

Just updating...I don't think this is the beginning of incontinence.  I did buy depends.  He wore them the rest of the trip at night with no problems.  We have been home a week and no issues at all.  I hope I didn't just jinx myself!  

• annewilder
    annewilder Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

1) My husband was tried on Gemtesa, one of the OAB drugs that is not anticholinergic......it didn't work at all. Then he was tried on DDAVP and I noticed both systolic and diastolic BP elevations......then, while in a rehab hospital, the rehab doctor wanted to try Detrol despite my warning that the urologist had given us.....so....Detrol caused urinary retention and it took over a day to get that out of his system. 2) 2 years ago he had a Urolift inserted for BPH. The urologist thinks it is working but that the cognitive decline is responsible for the incontinence. 3) I use an incontinence brief with him. I hate the Depends grey ones. They don't fit him right. The WalMart ones are not absorbent enough so I am looking for a recommendation for another brief to try 4) I ordered and LOVE Quickchange.com's triangular pads. They are great but about $1 each.

Please send me your rec's for briefs. He is 6'3" and 225lbs. THE END :-)

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited October 2023

Anne, we used parentgiving.com for incontinence supplies. We used the "ultimates" by dry direct. They offer two different options, one made in the U.S., and the other made in Italy. We tried both, and found those made in Italy to be superior. Since they both have the same name, you have to make sure which one you are getting. Having said that, they might not be the best option for you. You can chat with them on the site, or make a phone call (the number is on the site) to get their recommendations when you give them the details for your situation. They do offer trial packs of two per package for $2.99. I would suggest ordering a few different options so you can see first hand which works best for you. I think they are an excellent online company with high quality products, and they are great to work with.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

This is a zombie post from spring 2021.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia