Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Parkinson’s dementia question

Apologies in advance if this is too repetitive; I recall similar issues here before but didn’t pay attention like I should have b/c my DH has Alzheimer’s.

Now a family member (let’s say Bill) has Parkinsons, which seems fairly advanced. My LOs are helping with care. Bill doesn’t keep up with his meds, and other needs (like cleanliness and dressing, he is certainly incontinent) . Caregivers seem to think he *can* remember meds and other things, but chooses not to. Health professionals say Bill needs to be in a facility, and that’s being worked on. Meanwhile, my LOs  are trying to help him at home.

I was mostly curious whether Parkinsons has dementia like Alzheimer’s, in which DH can no longer deal with meds or even a pillbox...How much can be expected, cognitively, from a Parkinsons patient? Is it even comparable to Alzheimer’s? Or too individual to say?

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Absolutely. Parkinson's can have dementia associated with it as well as many non-motor problems.

https://www.parkinson.org

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oh yes RescueMom, it can have dementia just as progressive as Alzheimer's.  Frustrating for all involved and potentially dangerous for him if they don't recognize that.
  • Lp57$
    Lp57$ Member Posts: 34
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Hi Rescue Mom! yes my DH has Parkinson’s with Dementia and if it was not for me he could not keep up with his meds. He just don’t remember.  They also will forget people they love also plus having to deal with the tremors and trouble walking. Hope this helps.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Thanks so much to all for this input. Now I need to get my LOs acting as caregivers to read some of this. They seem to think it’s all physical. And indeed, I have known a very few people with Parkinson’s, but their issues seemed to be all physical until the very end. Now I know that’s often not the case. Thanks again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more