Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH lost keys again

I live in a gated community. Last time DH lost his wallet including credit card and cash, I had to cancel his cards and so on. This time he left the keys with fob to enter building and our apartment and mailbox key. The wallet had our name label but to this day no one has returned the keys. Should I get duplicate keys made? I am worried about the person who finds our keys can enter our apartment. Should I have the locks changed? Don’t know the right course of action at this point. Anyone else has this issue?

I have put a hanging ribbon on his keys this time. Thinking about getting him a tile or Apple device for lost items. I think most gadgets only work if the lost item is in close proximity not far off location like he has been doing. I was lucky to get his cell phone back last time he left while visiting doctors.

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    sunshine5 wrote:

I live in a gated community. Last time DH lost his wallet including credit card and cash, I had to cancel his cards and so on. This time he left the keys with fob to enter building and our apartment and mailbox key. The wallet had our name label but to this day no one has returned the keys. Should I get duplicate keys made? I am worried about the person who finds our keys can enter our apartment. Should I have the locks changed? Don’t know the right course of action at this point. Anyone else has this issue?

I have put a hanging ribbon on his keys this time. Thinking about getting him a tile or Apple device for lost items. I think most gadgets only work if the lost item is in close proximity not far off location like he has been doing. I was lucky to get his cell phone back last time he left while visiting doctors.

I have  neck pouch wallet with my keys attached and a tile keyfinder  DW used to hide my wallet.  I have continued using it even after she went into MC

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

This may not apply to you, but when my DH started losing things like that, he was also at the point where he could not drive, nor go to many activities unaccompanied. He was physically able, but he had no memory and virtually no cognitive ability. 

So: he did not carry anything that mattered. I did, or whoever was with him. At home, I had to make sure I kept everything important out of his sight, or reach, etc. basically hide them or lock them up, because he would lose/throw out/ destroy without knowing what or why. A Tile is super-helpful, but may not “work” with everything.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

DH has had a tile on his keys for a few years. His keys tend to disappear in the house. Once they had fallen under the refrigerator. Before going on vacation he hid them as he was sure someone would break in to get them to steal his twelve year old car. Of course, after vacation he could not remember where he hid them. Tile to the rescue.

Tile also makes a very thin model that fits in a wallet nicely. There is also a ‘stick’ tile you can put on phones.

Tile works by utilizing the Bluetooth on your and other people’s phone. You can be miles away and the Tile will show up in the app.  DH still plays in a couple of card leagues (can’t write a check, but still plays cards well). Since he has his keys with him, I can see that he is still at the league location. The Tile uses the phones of the other players as DH has a flip phone.

Apple now has an AirTag that can be used to find things. If you have Apple devices, you may want to investigate AirTag.

For peace of mind, I’d have a locksmith rekey the house locks. It’s not that expensive and cheaper than replacing the lock.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks for useful info. I will look into rekey and air tag.

I am usually with him but can’t keep an eye on everything he does. after weeks, he still hadn’t remembered where he took out the keys of his pocket since I am the one who ordered the food and brought the food at the table at Panera.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I had to amante this kind of issue several times.

Wallet lost ..in fact not lost by let somewhere. Now in his wallet he has the minimum ( keys, mask and some coins in case of) I don’t want to renew his different documents and cards or stress. Everything is tagged with my phone number.  The Kay’s must always be in the wallet, never in a pocket. If he goes out, even accompanied, he must has the wallet. This is now a rule and a routine. He accepted it very well because he feel secured with it. He spent less time searching after this rule.

But yes, as Victoria mentioned, I had to admit that when this occurs often it certainly means that he can’t go alone. Now, alone, he only goes to the speech therapist, and only when I am at home to check he has closes the door and in case he couldn’t find the keys when he comes back. This also begins to be difficult.

It’s difficult to cut this autonomy, but it is necessary. You can’t spend more time to repair everything. Now , I have less the impression of being a fireman

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

Constantly losing stuff is par for the course. I bought the tile several years ago when he kept losing his wallet. It worked for about a week, then he threw is in the trash, saying he didn't need one. The tile I have on my work keys has been fantastic, people are always coming to me to borrow my keys for one room or another at the office. When they have been gone to long, I use the app and it sets off a signal to the tile, which alerts the person who has my keys to return them.

Funny story - Last time we visited my father, DH lost his teeth. I helped search everywhere for them, finally found them on the floor in front of the passenger seat in the car. How or why, no idea, but it was good for a private chuckle.

• Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

When I was a child, I kept my house key attached to a string that was attached to a belt loop. Maybe something like that would work for him. 

You didn't say much about his condition. Does he still need keys and a wallet? Can you take over the driving and the money responsibility? Can you carry his wallet for him?       

My wife used to wander, so I put a tracking app on our phones. She no longer wanders, but I still have the app. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more