Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory care cameras legal?

Nowhere
Nowhere Member Posts: 272
Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
Does anyone with a significant other in memory care have a camera set up in their loved one’s room to oversee what really goes on? It seems that it would go a long way in preventing neglect and abuse and increasing accountability. Certain daycares and preschools facilitate this. If okay for the very young, why not for the vulnerable memory care resident? In MHO this shouldn’t be a facility’s decision, rather the POAs. Exasperated by the continual lock out of families during COVID!!!! I imagine private memory care homes allow. I’d hope state laws would be enacted to tell state aid accepting homes to provide feeds. Maybe even just in the hallways so that families would see that at least workers were entering to check on their loved one’s regularly.

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

The laws on this will vary from state to state, so you have to check the laws in your jurisdiction.

I placed a nest camera in my mom’s AL + MC (in MN) I did not get permission from them.  It was kind of a ‘dont ask, dont tell’ situation. I still dont know if they ‘allowed’ it at the time, I just installed it.

Initially, the camera facilitated me overseeing mom’s medication while she was on the phone with me.  Later, I used it just to look in + check on her a couple times a day.  The one issue we had with it was that my mom had a tendency toward ‘busyness’...moving things around, hiding things, rearranging etc etc + she would occasionally unplug it.

Since the facility didnt ‘know’ the camera was there, if it quit working, it would have to wait til one of the family was there to fix it.    The facility is not going to troubleshoot your camera, so it could be more trouble than it is worth.    I had someone nearby that could generally get to mom’s within a couple days to check the camera if it quit working for me.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I appreciate you for sharing your experience, Terei. Thank you. 

• Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Personally, I think this is only right if the caregivers know they are being watched. I just think it's dishonest --- and a little creepy --- to be looking at people who don't realize they have an audience. Now, I actually agree that having a camera would go a long way towards relieving families' concerns and probably better keep staff on their toes. But --- and this is only my opinion ---- you need to disclose what you are doing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more