Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

CNA broke her foot....a rant

Lills
Lills Member Posts: 156
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My wonderful, experienced and caring CNA broke her foot over the weekend and won't be able to care for DH until the boot is removed.  I'm hopeful but also doubtful that she'll be returning.

Until the agency can assign a permanent CNA for Monday through Friday's 3 hours,  DH will have temporary  CNA's who may/may not have been here before.  Sadly, they don't  have a chance to get to know DH. 

I 'm guessing the shortage of CNA's is true with many agencies; I know mine is scrambling to fill all slots.  Because of this shortage, the times the CNAs are available is change daily. They don't know the routine so I end up explaining both mundane things such as where is the bathroom to all-important information to new people too often.  I know DH has a patient plan but I'm not convinced the CNAs actually read them nor do they have time to read them with each new patient.  Of course, it's imperative they know that DH's food needs to be pureed, etc.  I've made a list of the urgent need-to-knows.  

I like Crush's post from a different topic, "I may have no shoes but I have met the people here who had no feet."  I know I am so fortunate to get these respite hours from the VA--but I want my previous CNA back!  

I feel I'm living though Ground Hog Day every day.  

End of rant

Comments

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    When I read the topic, I feared the CNA broke your LO's foot. Reading your "rant," was a relief!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry you lost your CNA.It can't be any fun trying to get someone else used to him.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Sorry lills, so frustrating. I am involved in some aspects of home health supervision for our state's Medicaid program and the pandemic has wreaked havoc.  No one is getting adequate or consistent services right now. Not that that helps you, but you're certainly not alone....
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Our helper was on an auto accident in December and hasn’t returned to work. I tried going it alone for 6 weeks, but couldn’t take it. I called the agency and got a replacement. I was worried that we would have another long period of getting to know each other, with resistance from DW, but it went really smoothly. The new helper is fantastic and DW likes and trusts her. So things can work out better than you think. Good luck.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more