Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Off topic: A really good Sound of Music on YouTube

A. Marie
A. Marie Member Posts: 118
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
In noodling around on YouTube recently, I stumbled on this unfamiliar and really good "semi-staged" 2006 version of The Sound of Music, produced at the Hollywood Bowl with John Mauceri as musical conductor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIDvM3HPJQM&t=7839s). I think I like this one better than any other: the original Broadway 1959 production, the 1965 film, or the live 2013 version with Carrie Underwood. Melissa Errico blows me away as Maria, and John Schneider (Bo Duke from The Dukes of Hazzard, no kidding!) is a remarkably good Captain Von Trapp. And here's my real reason for posting this: I defy anyone on the Spouse/Partner list to get through Melissa and John's duet on "An Ordinary Couple" (one of the Broadway songs that didn't make it into the movie) without tearing up. I certainly didn't.

Comments

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

P.S. to the original post:

(1) "An Ordinary Couple" begins at about 1:58:40, for those wishing to get there directly. But I highly recommend watching the whole thing if you have time.

(2) The Mother Abbess is played by Marni Nixon, who was the dubbed-voice queen of Hollywood in her day: She sang for Deborah Kerr in The King and I and for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, among many others.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more