Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory medication provegan otc

sunshine5
sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
Second Anniversary 10 Comments

DH in early stages of Dementia and May be Parkinson’s. He tried Aricept, had seizure side effect, memantine made him more confused. So both meds stopped. He tried Otc Provegan last year, seemed to work without side effects medication is expensive and often sold out. Any one had good experience with this or any other otc memory med for early stages Dementia?

I can’t get a neurologist appointment for 3 weeks, while the memory lapses don’t wait!

At times I get frustrated and overwhelmed by all I have to do for him.

So frustrating!

Comments

• ChrisBme
    ChrisBme Member Posts: 19
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Sunshine5,

Provegan or Prevagen?  Had my wife on Prevagen for 6 months during early stages without any signs of improvement.  She didn't have Parkinson's or seizures but for memory and other dementia symptoms I got her on Montelukast (Singulair) with very noticeable positive results within a couple weeks! There's some very good results with some studies you can look up if you need more info.  I was able to get her PCP Dr. to prescribe it and through Good RX it was very inexpensive ($12.00 for a month supply).

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    From what I understand, Prevagen was being sued for false advertisement.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

DH's neurologist was emphatic that no OTC memory products are efficacious. For people who don't have dementia, or memory loss due to a clinical reason, maybe Prevagen could create a placebo effect, but I don't think for our LOs. On the other hand, I'm not aware of any drug interactions with Prevagen, so probably no harm in taking it.

It is frustrating and overwhelming, having to carry the whole weight of decision making, investigation etc. I found it difficult because the person I would usually discuss all these things with was him! 

Good luck.

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Please be aware that there is an army of people preying on those suffering/caring for dementia victims. 

If there is a breakthrough in dementia care, it will be on the national news .

As of now, there is no modality out there that will slow down, or reverse, the effects of dementia.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Don't waste your money. I'm amazed they're still on the air, that lawsuit for false advertising can't come quick enough. Wish there were something to offer sunshine, but there's not.
  • sunshine5
    Thanks for all your input re meds and Prevagen. It’s worth trying Cingular if the Dr would prescribe.
  • sunshine5
    Thanks Chris. What strength Cingular?
  • ChrisBme
    ChrisBme Member Posts: 19
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Singulair, 10 mg daily.. but I think it's results will probably depend on what type of dementia your DH has.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

We used to call Prevegen (the OTC substance) as “the jellyfish drug” because the ads featured that. They don’t advertise so much now, at least in my retiree area, which is a big target for such things.

The current ad content has changed substantially. There were lawsuits over the earlier ads; at least some were settled.

Current ads don’t make those big memory claims; the ones I’ve seen are like regular vitamin ads (and no jellyfish).

I think most people know by now it doesn’t do anything special for memory, but that first ad sure did grab people....which ads are supposed to do, and the subject is compelling, but they really crossed the line.

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

All I could find out about Prevagen is that it contains Vitamin D.  Vitamin D deficiencies are common and are related to memory loss, so Prevagen might help.  Of course, Vitamin D is readily available OTC at little cost.

DW wanted some Prevagen after seeing the testimonials on TV, but her doctor told her not to take it so that settled that.

• aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Rescue mom - sadly, in my locale, I see the jellyfish, plus concocted "clinical trial" graph pretty much everyday...
  • Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Two clues as to why prevagen probably has no effect on memory: the compound (apoeaquorin) does not cross the blood-brain barrier and as far as I know no mechanism of action has ever been given at to how this supplement would improve memory.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Yesterday my DH asked our son (a doctor) if the 'products for memory loss', advertised on TV, work.  DH watches commercial TV all day long.  

My son and I both know that research shows that there is no medication, OTC or RX, that really helps with the losses of dementia.

Another signs that my DH knows his mind is slipping away.  But he never ever talks about it directly.  This breaks my heart.

Elaine

• sunshine5

I got the neurologist to prescribe Singulair for DH.

How do I know what type of Dementia does he have?

New neurologist appointment not for 3 weeks.

Thanks again

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Chris and sunshine,

Emory is/was doing a clinical trial regarding Montelukast (Singulair) and Alzheimer's.

Scroll down to "Montelukast Therapy for Alzheimer's disease"

http://alzheimers.emory.edu/research/clinical_trials/active-trials.html

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03991988 

Emory is an excellent university.

• 1962ART
    1962ART Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Our neurologist cautions us to avoid all media advertised drugs, especially Prevagen.  We are taking his advice, as the expert in such matters.

Of course, all of us would buy anything if we knew it would help our LO.

Nothing on the market yet.

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

ElaineD my DH asks me multiple times a week after seeing the television commercials, "don't you think I should get some of those pills to help me".  I've tried to alter my answers between, a) we'll have to talk to your doctor, b) it's just vitamins you're already taking c)  those are for something else.  It's so hard when everything the ads say are exactly what our LO wants to hear.

• sunshine5

How did u get pcp to prescribe singular meds?

What kind of Dementia or Az does your mother has? 

I just learned that DH does not have Parkinson’s 

• JulieB46
    JulieB46 Member Posts: 50
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments

I hate those Prevagen commericials!!!  Every time they come on, DH, asks why we don't try it.

I explain that his doc would probably prescribe it if it really worked.  He then realizes I'm right, but each time the commercial airs, it's the same conversation,,,,

• sunshine5
    DH does not have Parkinson’s, dr misdiagnosed, he does have Alzheimer’s, don’t know what stage. Singulair 10 mg started 3 weeks does show some improvement. Chris thanks for the info. Do u remember how much improvement your wife made  on this medication and for how long did she take it?
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

remember dietary supplements operate in a wild west under what we call the "quack remedy protection act" 

January 2019 JAMA article co-authored by Joanna Hellmuth, a neurologist at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) Memory and Aging Center titled “The Rise of Pseudomedicine for Dementia and Brain Health,” criticized Quincy for quoting studies that lack “sufficient participant characterization, treatment randomization and fail to include limitations.” MedpageToday went on to add that “in the case of Prevagen … there isn’t even a single study published in the peer-reviewed scientific literature [that supports the company’s claims].”

“Supplement manufacturers are legally allowed to make misleading claims that may not have the greatest degree of scientific integrity,” Hellmuth told Being Patient. While they cannot claim to treat specific diseases or conditions, they can make claims that they treat symptoms, and they are not required to demonstrate efficacy."

• Larrytherunner
    Larrytherunner Member Posts: 83
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I have been taking montelukast (brand name Singulair) since February 2016 and I now take one 10 mg three times a day. I started by taking once a day and my extreme mental fatigue went away for about half a day. At one 10 mg twice a day I was completely back to normal.

I have a website about repurposing montelukast.

montelukast-repurposed.org

Most of the clinical trials around the world involving Alzheimers have been put on hold because of the pandemic, and I am sure the Emory trial is one of them. l was expecting some results this year but now it looks like we will have to wait until 2022. Emory will be treating patients with up to 40 mg multiple times a day.

As for getting a prescription for this drug for Alzheimers in the states, that is not easy to do. If you are lucky, the doctor may give you a prescription for 10 mg once a day. I live in Ghana where montelukast does not require a prescription, so I don't have that problem. Good luck.

• Stuck in the middle
    JulieB46 wrote:

I hate those Prevagen commericials!!!  Every time they come on, DH, asks why we don't try it.

I explain that his doc would probably prescribe it if it really worked.  He then realizes I'm right, but each time the commercial airs, it's the same conversation,,,,

Placebo time, Julie.  If DW were nagging about P., I would buy one bottle, throw away the contents, and fill it with the Vitamin D her doctor ordered.  Or M&Ms, so I could give her one every time the subject arose.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My husband’s neurologist told us not to waste our money on any of these so-call OTC so-called  memory meds. As for placebos, I’m reminded of a scene in The Birdcage where Nathan Lane is given Spirin to calm his nerves. It was actually ASPirin.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am sorry if the Prevagen commercials are misleading anyone with false hopes.  I have noticed these dreadful commerials for this type product, (there is more than one), have become much more sophisticated and therefore more misleading.   It really makes me grit my teeth when they air. Unfortuntely, these companies are making a fortune so they will continue.

If such a med came along that could do all that is claimed, it would be huge "breaking news" on all credible media and credible medical resources would be shouting from the rooftops.

Alas.

By the way, do NOT begin Vitamin D withour a doctor's input for necessity, and for dose. Labs will be necessary, this is a fat soluble vitamin which stays in the body - so necessity and dose are important and also, it can interfere with some meds.  Best to always do any new starts on vitamins, herbs, etc. with input from the doctor.  Just because someting seems "natural" does not mean it does not affect meds or cause negatives over time.

So glad you have posted to ask about this.  It is important to be able to share information about what is valid and not as we seek for help for our loved ones.

J.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Jo C. wrote:

I am sorry if the Prevagen commercials are misleading anyone with false hopes.  I have noticed these dreadful commerials for this type product, (there is more than one), have become much more sophisticated and therefore more misleading.

pretty good article on how we got here with this incredible lucrative worthless quackery

https://quackwatch.org/consumer-protection/dshea/

"To evade the law’s intent, the supplement industry is organized to ensure that the public learns of “medicinal” uses that are not stated on product labels. This is done mainly by promoting the ingredients of the products through books, magazines, newsletters, booklets, lectures, radio and television broadcasts, oral claims made by retailers, and the Internet.

Nothing but lies NOTHING BUT LIES

• Stuck in the middle

Right, Iris.  Vitamin D was what first came to mind because DW takes it.  Her doctor ordered it because lab tests revealed a deficiency.  

My grandfather took Tums as needed for acid stomach, and always had them on hand.  Unruly children were given "spoiled brat pills" that greatly resembled Tums.  And they worked.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more