Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

urinates too often

My DH is stage 5/6. he pees all the time. hardly ever makes it to bathroom. up number of  times at night. just dribbles sometimes, others full stream. He is more confused cause irregular sleep and I am not getting sleep by getting up with him all night long. day time is just as bad. He doesn't seem to know how to hold his penis and point in toilet. just pees on floor most times.  this can't be common? guess I will finally call kidney doctor.  Any others experienced this. 
Thank you all for being here.  I look at this page every day and it has been so helpful. Connie

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi Connie, frequency could be from a number of things---high blood sugar, prostate problem (treatable with meds generally now), UTI.  I would definitely call--a good primary care could do a lot of it, but if he has seen a urologist, they would too.  Good luck--
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    by the way, check his meds too.  Antihistamines--particularly benadryl or hydroxyzine--can cause a lot of urinary symptoms in older men.  Others too.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife had trouble with recurring UTIs. PCP treated them several times, then we went to see the urologist. He put her on low dose antibiotics for a month. During that time I also started her on Theracran One (with his OK), which doesn't require a prescription. She has not had a UTI since. I'm keeping her on Theracran One. It seems to be working well. If he has a UTI, and has more, you might consider trying that. It is available online or in several drug stores.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Newbloomer,

I agree with the recommendations here to check for a silent UTI. My DH and I are going through this right now. He is in early stages of incontinence I think, but also suddenly had the same issues you are describing...I've stepped into several puddles after inspecting the bathroom right after he exits. It started with dribbling, urine spots on pants, stinky pee clothes (which he resists changing), then quickly escalated to several major "accidents" daily, peeing all down his leg (at door of bathroom...waited too long?? or even right after leaving the bathroom (!). And in public though we don't get out much. He just suddenly couldn't seem to control it anymore. Then came the other behavior issues that accompany UTIs for us, so I knew that was the culprit. Home test strip results provided a big purple "yes".

Our PCP is often out of the office and for the first 2 UTIs in the last 12-15 months, I ended up dealing with his med partner. Now, the main PCP has been slow-walking me with regard to prescribing the antibiotics and ordering a culture. I might be changing PCPs as he doesn't seem to know anything about dementia and I explained we are not going to go through multiple rounds of exploratory tests and blood draws to confirm if "something else could be causing his confusion or agitation" (it is his Alzheimers dude). And this MD has no concept of a silent UTI (if no odor, burning, discoloration, etc., he thinks I'm wrong.) So...the week+ delay in responding to my request for antibiotics even though we complied with the mandatory telehealth appt required before prescribing, has allowed the infection to also trigger my DH's asthma (which had been well-managed since hospitalization immediately pre-COVID sheltering orders) and to say I am now thoroughly PISSED off (no pun intended) is a major understatement. 

What with the extra urine adventures, mopping, laundry, tug of war to get DH to remove wet clothes, Depends drama (DH doesn't want to change them, even when stinking and soaking wet), heightened monitoring to try and get him to the bathroom in time (I'm failing miserably), interrupted sleep, his UTI agitation/anger/obstinance/defiance etc., etc. the LAST thing I need is an equally uncooperative PCP because he doesn't read the neuropsych's notes, and doesn't trust the 24/7 caregiving wife or wisdom of alz assoc caregivers' experience. We finally got the Bactrim prescription from his partner, started it yesterday and I'm going to contact Medicare to see if they can send a home health visit for the culture. 

So, you see your post struck a chord with me! You are not alone. Wishing you a drier future. I think I'll be ordering the other incontinence supplies today though. This is just a glimpse into our future at some point, anyway.

• EllisA
    EllisA Member Posts: 34
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

you might also ask your PCP about overactive bladder treatment.  sometimes that creates a sudden,  unexplained urge that means you are immediately wet.  My PCP recognized this immediately, wrote a RX and received results in three yes (3) days.  WHAT A RELIEF.  The incontinence supplies are in a box now.  HOORAY!!!!!

Maybe that little pill could help.  Plus, Depends aren't worth the paper they are made from.  Try a serious provider like:    northshorecare.com.  They specialize in incontinence products, based on personal experience.  Products are fantastic, people are wonderful.  They have Text and live chat.  the phone # is 1-800-563-0161

Try them they are awesome.

EllisA

• newbloomer
    newbloomer Member Posts: 15
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

wow. butterfly wings you described it perfect except for the frustration with the doctor.  I did give him flomax yesterday and it seemed to help.  His behavior is not off so don't think UTI and he just came off antibiotic for that and an infections he had from falling and hurting his foot. I did look up the overactive bowel syndrome.  will definetly talk to dr about this on Monday. 

Ellis, thanks for the information.  depends is ok for day for him but haven't found a nighttime but it doesn't much matter since he can't get there on time or hit the toilet or any other thing you can think of.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    EllisA - Thanks for the resources!!! ordering the real supplies today.
  • EllisA
    I hope this helps for both of you.  I will keep praying for both of you. Remember he is always here to help us thru this life.  May God Bless both of you.  Stay in Touch.  NEVER GIVE UP.  YOU ARE DOING GREAT  EllisA
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

my DH did not do well on overactive bladder medicine.  It did not help at all and my husband saw a urologist.  I am not sure if any medicine can really help a ALZ patient if they have lost the ability for brain to send signal to urinate in toilet.  Others in my alz support group had agreed with me when I mentioned my concern.  Plus the medicine was very expensive at $40 a month.   My money is going elsewhere now to help with caregiving and giving me a reprieve for a few hours.  Just my opinion, but hope you get your loved one taken care of.

I do feel so exhausted all the time and looking for puddles as well on the floor.

• EllisA

anne leigh,

Sorry things with the PCP didn't go well.  Maybe the products will help some.  I used the overnight pullup during the day and that made a difference.  Still praying.

ellisa

• EllisA

anne leigh

Sorry the OAB info was no good.    the overnight pull-up from  northshore was what I used.  Sorry about the $.

Still praying for both of you

EllisA

• Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My DH had similar issues. Short story, he now takes Flomax regularly and it has taken care of the problem. He now has other issues that can keep him up at night, but the urination issues have pretty much gone away.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more