Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

End is near

KeithH
KeithH Member Posts: 5
Third Anniversary First Comment

Hello all.

It has been a little while, as life has been very busy. DW has declined extremely fast in past 3 weeks. Past week alone has been the worst hell of my life. She no longer recognizes me as even someone familiar. She is constantly yelling the same phrases weather someone is in the room or not. If I go in the room to check on her she screams at me saying this is her house and I should go to my own. Mind you it doesn't matter if in the car or someone else's house she says the same thing. She is also screaming this when nobody is around. I have slept in a spare bedroom the past several nights. If I try to kiss and say good night she swings at me. She is refusing to eat and drink now, and is in constant turmoil with herself. I know she is not there anymore, but is still so painful to see her this way. Psychiatrist changed her meds to get me through the weekend. We have an appointment on Monday. The Seroquel has been all but tripled and does nothing for her. I'm not sure why I'm posting other then support. It was suggested to take her to the ER, and then they could place her from there. I am still in a waiting period for a MC facility. At this point I just want her to be free of all the pain and turmoil.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Keith

Comments

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 570
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    Have you had your wife assessed by Hospice?  It sounds as if she is extremely agitated.  Hopefully the psychiatrist will medicate her so you can get some relief.  I would look further for placement if I was in your place.
  • KeithH

Thank you.

I will be talking with social worker also tomorrow about other options.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry Keith.  Do you think she's dying, or do you just think you can't keep her at home any more?  Wasn't sure from your post.  ER and/or Hospice might help in either situation.  Keep us posted please, thinking of you

• KeithH
    Thank you M1. I already made the decisions several weeks ago that it was best for both of us if she was in a MC facility. I have hit road block after road block due to her being young (55). I will see what happens tomorrow and let you know options presented to me.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Hi Keith, just want to let you know I'm thinking of you and your wife.  I can't yet relate to what you are dealing with so I have no advice.  I do hope the meds begin to help and that you get an opening at a MC facility.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Please do not rule out that there may be something physically wrong. A sudden change in behavior is often caused by a "silent" UTI. A trip to an Urgent Care or her Dr could rule that out almost immediately and when you get it tell them you want a culture done.
  • banpaeng
    banpaeng Member Posts: 66
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Mr. Keith, wish you the best in whatever happens.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Keith, I am sorry you are going through this. I hope she finds peace soon. Hospice would probably be a huge blessing to you both.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more