Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Celebrating mother's day

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I took lunch to DW and her caretakers had gone all out to dress her up for mothers day .  She was wearing her flowered dress from Hawaii, earrings and a neck pendant. DW ate the  chocolate cake I brought  and we got some photos.  but there was not the slightest flicker of recognition.   I filmed her walking for our daughters.  Since she had a dress on you could see her steady gait.   She looked great.   If only DW was really there.   Came home and cried.   She has been this way for almost 3 years.   Her birthday is next week.  She will be 69. 

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    (((Crushed)))
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    (((Crushed))) I’m so sorry
  • chrisp1653
    chrisp1653 Member Posts: 62
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Crushed, you are tops in my book. To go over and beyond when it seems like all wasted effort. I must confess that Barbara was never completely gone, so far as I could tell, but she certainly wasn't here either. The things that hurt me the most were also the things that kept me going.

There was the time when, after I was losing it and getting angry with her because her Parkinson's would make that right leg of hers come shooting out like it had a spring attached to it, and she said  ( in her very soft voice ) , " I don't want it to do that . " Or the time - 2 weeks to the day before she passed - when both of her eyes were open, and she seemed alert, when I was able to get what is now my profile pic here. Finally, in her last week, when she was mostly comatose, she had made some kind of noise, and I asked her if she was all right. I really didn't expect any answer, but from somewhere in her depths came the whisper, " Not very good. "

Those were the last words I ever heard her speak. A few days later, and she was gone.

I remember those words, and they comfort me somewhat, because I feel like, even at the end, she was in there, trying to get out. Was she ?

I don't really know, but I hope to find out one day.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more