Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

No Mother's Day break!

CStrope
CStrope Member Posts: 487
100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So.....Mother's Day.....Ha!

Obviously there was no card, no gift, no special breakfast in bed, but I was hoping for a good day.  Just a day without having to watch every word I say and everything I do.  But no such luck.  Everybody is always saying don't forget to take care of yourself, how is that even a possible thought much less a reality!  We live out in the country in a small rural town, no nail salons, spas, or other luxurious offerings.  I know there are others dealing with this same situation without the big support systems so many people have, and for that I feel for you, and send you hopes for more good days than bad days.

Sorry to be a downer

Comments

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

(((((CStrope))))))

Happy Mothers Day to You. 

Maybe talk to your husbands Doctor and see if there is some type of meds they can put him on to help calm him down. You need to get as much rest as you can to continue his care.

Can you find some time for yourself by sitting on the porch or taking a walk and get some fresh air.

I had to place my husband not because of his anxiety but because I was unable to give him the care he needed. The time may come you will need to do the same thing. Your life and health are very important so you really need to do something about keeping you strong. 

Hugs Zetta 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry you didn't have a good day. We have to keep our expectations low because of the nature of this disease. Hope today is a little better.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    CStrope, I hope you have a better day.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am so sorry CStrope. I hope today is a better day for you.

For me, life is a little gentler when I have no expectations at all. I haven't been to a spa in years. I have discovered some spa DIY that I can sometimes squeeze in here:

• Dr. Teals bath salts so I can take a long hot soak. Dr Teals is available in the grocery store here. Plain epsom salts work also.
    • Bliss pumpkin face mask (on-line) so I can feel pampered.
    • Scented hand lotion. This is stress relieving in a couple of ways:
      • It smells lovely.
      • I can massage my tired hands which relaxes me.
      • The lotion minimizes the dryness I have from washing my hands frequently every day.
    Sometimes, going through the ritual of making a cup of tea is relaxing. I have also shifted my thinking to appreciate when I am doing something just for me. For example, brushing my own teeth, or eating my own meal (after DH is fed), or drinking my own coffee (after DH has his). I pay attention to nature, such as the breeze or a bird. I take intentional breaths. These are small things that help me. 

Best wishes to you for better times. Love and hugs to you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more