Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A win and a loss

Jeff86
Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Late this afternoon, when I might anticipate DW asking if I know where her husband is, she turned to me and said, “I really like being your wife.”

I smiled at her and told her she really does it well, and I like being her husband.

Soon after, the dog walked in.  DW said, “Who’s that?”  I told her it’s Emma, our dog.  She said, “Why is she here?”  I told her, “Because she lives here with us .”

Sigh.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I have had similar experiences lately with both the human & canine relationships in the family.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jeff, I think the win was much bigger than the loss. I'm glad you were able to hear that.

I hear the same kind of stuff from my wife about the dog. The other day we were going to take a ride to our daughter's home, when I noticed our dog was across the street. Somehow she got the gate opened (or someone didn't close it properly), and got out of the back yard. I called her, and she came running home. My wife asked me whose dog that was. I get those kind of remarks quite often from her. Most of the time she knows who she is, but sometimes she doesn't.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    And “Where’s the other one?” when there is only one!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    We have daily animal counts too, more recently because of the loss of one of the indoor cats, which has confused her.  Calling the ducks chickens now (we have both).  So far, though, she still knows who I am (though no longer remembers how we met, etc).  Used to hate my ex and now can't remember all that history.  I know that was bittersweet Jeff.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Sometimes, "just for so", I ask DH questions like, "Who am I?" (He always answers with his full name and middle initial), or "Are you married", or "Who is your wife?"  His answers are so off the chart that they are hilarious sometimes.  It no longer hurts; it's a source of humor.  His last coherent statement regarding wedded bliss took place on our 50th wedding anniversary, 3 years ago.  I said, "Do you know what you were doing 50 years ago today?"  "No.....?"  "You were waiting for me to come down the aisle to marry you."  He said, "Lucky you."  He always had a sense of humor.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more