Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tracking wandering spouses

Anyone using "tiles" or the newer electronic tracking tags for safety and tracking when they go missing?

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Earlier in our journey, I put a Tile on DH's key ring because he was always losing the keys. Later I took the keys away because he was no longer a safe driver.

For about 6 months DH wore a TheoraCare Watch that allowed me to track him (using a smart phone app) while I was at work. You can learn more at Smartwatch for Older Adults | Theora Connect™ (theoracare.com)

Our experience with both products was okay.

Now that I am retired I am able to keep my eyes on DH all day. He and I both wear Medical ID dog-type tags. In addition, if I leave the house for groceries or medicine, DH wears the Phillips Life Link. It may have a tracking component....I admit, I have not yet read the manual.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I don't have any recommendations for you. But I would suggest that you have her information in the police (or other law enforcement) database for dementia patients. They will probably ask for a picture of her to also put in the database. Then if you need them, they have all the information at their fingertips to locate her faster.
  • mainstreetmarshall
    mainstreetmarshall Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    A dementia patient was found dead recently in Kansas, after wandering away from a care support center. He made it nearly 3 miles before running into a fence he couldn't get thru or around. Based on the direction of travel, he was headed to a small town he lived in years ago. A massive search was started almost immediately...but he was found too late, at freezing temps. THIS is why I am asking about this. If he had a tracker on his person, clothing or whatever, might have had a different outcome.
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Unfortunately, there is no substitute for personal supervision when our loved ones are at risk of wandering.
  • jgt1942
    jgt1942 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary

I'm new to the forum and have been browsing through it. My wife has vascular dementia and is at the point where she sometimes wanders, thus trackables have been on my mind. Following are some things I have learned. Please feel free to correct me if I state something incorrectly or if I'm off base.

"Tiles" are Bluetooth based thus the range is very limited under ideal conditions with the Pro model, you can get it to find the tile up to 400 feet. To my knowledge you cannot set a Geofence (the use of GPS or RFID technology to create a virtual geographic boundary, enabling software to trigger a response when a mobile device enters or leaves a particular area.) I decided NOT to go this route.

Project Lifesaver - can be a free option, I have it for my wife through our Sheriff's department. See their website for details (https://www.brunswicksheriff.com/community-programs/project-lifesaver). Basically, it is a device that is about the size of a thich watch (about 1/2" thick). The device can be on your wrist or ankle. It has a plastic band and cannot be removed unless the band is cut. A radio frequency is assigned to the device. If your LO wanders, you call 911, the sheriff's department is notified, they start searching (officers identify the signal from a specialized directional antenna and are able to track the wandering person). The device can be located within a mile of the directional antenna. If we plan to travel, we call the sheriff's department, let them know where we are going, they contact the appropriate people in that area. So far we have not had to use it.

SmartCare watch - This can be purchased through Verizon (I don't know about other cell providers) for $150 plus $5/mo for the cell service. You install the SmartCare app on your phone (iPhone or Android). You can see the location of the watch on a map, you can call the watch or the watch can call you if you are in the watch directory. I had been using it with my wife, she wander about 3 miles from home before I knew she was gone (I had fallen asleep watching TV). She was trying to walk to our son's house and was at a neighbors house two streets from our son. The watch reported her location but it was not correct. It showed that she was about 1,000 feet from her actual location. The neighbor was able to determine how to call via the watch and called me. Initially, I was very concerned about the watch incorrectly reporting her location and started looking for another solution. After I was well into another potential solution I discovered that it is not uncommon for any consumer GPS device to incorrectly report a location. I don't recall if I could create a Geofence with it. Multiple can install the SmartCare app on their phones and track her.

Life360 - great app if you are using only phones. They do NOT support smartwatches. In the past I used it on our phones and at that time she almost always had her phone. With the dementia most of the time she does NOT have her phone.

Smartwatches - I'm android based and I purchased a Samsung Watch 4 classic and installed GeoZilla on her phone, the Watch 4 and my phone for testing.  I purchased the watch via Amazon and opted to purchase a returned unit and saved about $125. BTW, I did NOT look at the other Samsung watch models as an option. Via the GeoZilla app on her phone (the watch is assigned to her phone via the Samsung Smart Ware app) I created a Geofence, created a circle of caretakers and started to test. At this time I've hit a wall and I'm waiting for the GeoZilla to respond. Currently, the GeoZilla app is NOT updating her location. The Smartwatch offers several other functions, heart monitoring, falling down, plus others. Her phone and the watch do not need to be in the same location, for example, the watch could be in Arizona and her phone could be in North Carolina. Still, I could call her number (the watch and phone has the same number) and both would ring and she could answer the call on her watch. She could call me or anybody in her phone directory (now also the watch directory). If she wants to call, she presses and holds the Home button, shortly the watch will display "Listening", she continues to hold the home button and announces "call john" and releases the home button. The watch then calls me. If there are multiple persons named John in her directory it will announce each name, you then say the full name. I'm also working with another company that wants to take there current app and enhance it to track persons with dementia. This is VERY early into this project, in the meantime I will work with GeoZilla and hopefully get their app working. GeoZilla has a free app but also fee based plans ($20/mo or $100/year or $160/3 yr).

There are other options, some you can see at

More info at

There is a LOT more info on the internet. 

Currently, I don't want something that hangs around her neck because she will most likely take it off. For us, I think the Samsung Watch 4 classic offers the best solution but as I move forward and learn more I may change to a new option.

• arizonadianne
    arizonadianne Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    My DH is mobile and still drives short distances (no formal diagnosis yet—NPH? FTD?) He has a Bay Alarm Medical device on a lanyard and an iPhone, and I can locate him using either device. I also have an Apple “Air Tag” in the car.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I got two Apple Air Tags, one in his wallet and one on a lanyard with house keys primarily to help in finding these items that kept getting lost in the house.  They work pretty well to see where he is when I'm at work on an app on my phone.  He walks a neighbors dog and then our dogs so I like to see how that is going.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Someone who needs to be found should not be driving.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    edited September 2023

We have a child with autism and intellectual disability who is unreliable about giving her correct name, address, phone number, etc. We use a Jiobit tracker when she goes to school. However, that is as an emergency layer of protection in addition to incredibly high supervision and additional safety measures. She also wears an ID bracelet with her name, address, and our phone numbers. She cannot open our doors yet (deadbolts). When she can, we will be installing the special slide locks high on all doors.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I also bought a set of air tags to put on her keys, in her purse and in the coat she wears when she goes out. Also one in her truck, but she drives so infrequently these days, which is a really good thing. I also set up the "find my phone" part of her iPhone. So far, it's mostly helped us find the cell phone and purse she loses in the house 9 million times a day. 😏

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

we also have PROJECT LIFESAVER bracelet. Someone from the sherrif's dept comes every 60 days and changes the battery on the bracelet, and even has come when, a few months ago managed to cut it off using an old key he had in his dresser drawer. and it is free, which is a godsend.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

This is an old thread brought up by a solicitor this morning. Pulled multiple old threads on wandering.

• Mrs Hordern
    Mrs Hordern Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary

My husband has a standard Flip cell so can’t put app on it, do have a medical alert card in wallet, he took air tag out of his wallet, I need to be alerted when he leaves the area of our neighborhood as he likes to walk long distances

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more