Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Is this how incontinence begins?

However, even though we ask my DH if he needs to urinate, he'll deny it.  Then in a minute he gets up to head to the bathroom and never makes it on time. We are changing his jeans and underwear a time or two every day. 

I spoke to the neurologist yesterday about his escalating dementia symptoms and he removed Depokote from his meds. When I mentioned that DH had not urinated for 24 hours, he insisted I take him back to the family doc and have him re-evaluated for a UTI. I did so immediately and, sure enough, he had blood in his urine. Now he is on antibiotics. The neurologist said this could be the problem with both his escalating symptoms and the problem getting to the bathroom in time. Have you found that to be the case or is this how incontinence starts?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My wife had recurring UTIs. Before I really knew how to handle it, when she would have a fairly severe UTI, she would act like she took a nose dive down the tunnel of progression. When they were cleared up, she returned to baseline. But it was hell to live with before the infection was gone.

When they did the urine test, did they run a culture? If not, they could be giving him an antibiotic that might not get rid of the infection. The culture is something I always ask for if I suspect a UTI. It has been several months since she had a UTI. I started her on Theracran One, and it seems to be doing the job for her.

• anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

My DH, stage 6 may think he has to go to bathroom, but by the time he gets there he has already urinated in his depends, or it takes awhile to get him to pull down depends then sit on toilet.  Most of time he starts dribbling on depends and it runs down legs, shorts and shoes.  Recently I have been cutting up strips of disposable cloth covers and quickly putting it between his legs when the depends are pulled down.  it helps a little catching some of urine until he sits down.  It is just an experiment on my part, because I was trying to not go through so many depends or pads.  I am definitely using more depends/underwear now since he is incontinent.  Just remember he may feel the sensation of wanting to go, but not know what to do.

Is there any way you can have him wear shorts with elastic, Miss Ripper?  I live in a warm state so I have bought many elastic type shorts for convenience as I know I will end up washing many of them.  Blessings~

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I too thought my husband was becoming incontinent.  But it was  a UTI. My husband just got over it  and he was peeing on himself, on the floor, in the garbage and in the car. Now that it cleared up all that has stopped.
  • Miss Ripper
    Miss Ripper Member Posts: 49
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    Ed1937 wrote:

When they did the urine test, did they run a culture?

Yes, they did do a culture. I'm hoping this antibiotic will fix this latest problem, as it has for some of the others of you.

• Miss Ripper
    anneleigh wrote:

Is there any way you can have him wear shorts with elastic, Miss Ripper?  I live in a warm state so I have bought many elastic type shorts for convenience as I know I will end up washing many of them.  Blessings~

We live in the mountains of Colorado, so my DH won't wear anything but jeans. He won't wear shorts even when it is hot. My stepson insists I don't put him in Depends, but I think it would be a huge help and keep him from having to also change his jeans each time.
  • Miss Ripper
    Battlebuddy wrote:
    I too thought my husband was becoming incontinent.  But it was  a UTI. My husband just got over it  and he was peeing on himself, on the floor, in the garbage and in the car. Now that it cleared up all that has stopped.
    This is good news for me. I'm so hoping that when his UTI clears up, things will go back to better.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am just now putting 2 and 2 together.

You may recall, DH was having accidents and I switched him to disposable undies. Around the same time, DH's hemorrhoids flared up. The doc put DH on antibiotics for diverticulitis. DH completed the antibiotics and has not had any accidents since.....

• Maybe there was a UTI, we did not know about and the antibiotics knocked it out? or
    • Maybe its because I am now a hawk when DH heads to the water closet AND he is now receptive to my assistance?

Whatever the cause for the change, we are both happier when it comes to toileting.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more