Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Covid vaccine reaction (new topic)

Iris L.
Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My relative, in her 50s, has had gastrointestinal side effects for the past two weeks.  They began after her second Covid vaccination, I don't know which one.  Her Covid test was negative.  Has anyone heard of gastrointestinal reaction after Covid vaccination?  She is under a doctor's care for this.  Otherwise she is well, not a PWD.

Iris

Comments

• zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Iris, I'm sorry your relative is having a problem. I had an immediate and strong bout of gastric reflux after my first Moderna shot, which did not recur with the second. My DIL's mother had a huge range of symptoms, including "stomach flu"-like misery, after her first shot. I'm glad your relative is in a doctor's care; two weeks is a Long Time to have to deal with that! I hope she gets better quickly!
  • Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    It does not sound like it, Iris but did your relative have any autoimmune digestive problems before receiving the vaccine (such as Celiac disease, Chron's disesae, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome).  The current vaccines (probably all of them) can results in antibodies against the platelet 4 factor which can lead to clotting problems.   This can also potentially lead to the onset or worsening of various gastrointenstinal problems.  

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/04/covid-19-scan-apr-16-2021

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14945

Since I have Celiac disease, I am very interested if the vaccines increase my risk for clotting or for worsening my condition in general.

On a more general note, the clotting cases are becoming less rare:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday that 28 people have now been identified with a disorder being called Thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome...

The J&J vaccine was delivered to nearly 8 million Americans before its use was temporarily paused last month.  All of the patients with TTS received the shot before the pause, though the 13 additional cases were identified only recently...

In earlier reports, only one TTS patient was male; now, there are six men among the 28 patients. The patients ranged in age from 18 to 59, with more older patients identified recently. Women appeared to be at highest risk in their 30s and 40s, while the men did not cluster in a particular age range, Shimabukuro said.

28 in 8 million is a little less than 1 in 250,000.  As more reports are collected (unfortunately, some are not) that number should drop further.  These are safe vaccines overall but they are not perfectly safe.

• 1962ART
    1962ART Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I have Celiac disease and had no symptoms after my two Pfizer shots.
  • Lane Simonian
    That is very good to know.  I wish there was some large data set where I could see if people with Celiac disease have a higher risk for clotting than other groups.
  • Iris L.

Thank you Zauberflote, Lane and Art for responding.  My relative has no prior gastrointestinal disorder or autoimmune illness or other chronic illness.  I will read the article.  I hope it will just be about more time to recover.  

Iris

• Lane Simonian

I hope that your relative does fully recover, Iris.  For the clots, there are treatments that seem to help, but I am not sure what is being done for gastrointestinal problems.

I now more or less have a grasp on the rare side effects reported from the vaccines. Various factors including heparin, pesticides, bacteria, viruses, and certain virus vaccines elicit antibodies to Platelet Factor 4 which then binds to a particular receptor (FcyRIIA).  The activation of this receptor can lead to multiple problems including blood clots, damage to the intestinal lining, and various autoimmune gastro-digestive diseases.  My guess is that the few people who have been severely affected by the coronavirus vaccines either already have high levels of antibodies against Platelet Factor 4 or have a genetic predisposition for antibodies against this factor.

• Lane Simonian

This is a real good coverage of the issue of coronavirus vaccines and autoimmune diseases.  

https://anh-usa.org/will-you-be-a-second-class-citizen/

• Iris L.

Thanks for the article, Lane.  I couldn't reach my relative today, I hope she's recovering.  I also hope that ER and urgent care doctors are being kept up on the pathophysiology behind the side effects. There is a lot of new information.  

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney