Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Burning down the house

Jeff86
Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Talk about every day is different for PWD’s.  On Thursday, DW almost set the house on fire.

I was away on the first business trip I’ve taken since Covid.  Our aide told my DW that she would fix lunch shortly, but was first going to go downstairs and throw a load of laundry into the washing machine.

When the aide came back upstairs, she smelled smoke.  She discovered that DW took matters into her own hands to prepare lunch....by turning on the stove, and then putting a wooden cutting board, rather than a pot or pan, on the open flame.....

DW used to be a superb cook/chef.  One of the many pre-diagnosis symptoms of her AD was her inability to prepare dishes she’d made for years.  But it’s easily been at least two years since she went near the stove, never mind tried to operate it.  So I guess I was complacent about the obvious safety hazard the range can represent.

Maybe this was a one-off event.  DW gets restless/anxious if she’s left alone for more than a brief period of time.  So this was a wake-up call to how much trouble can arise in the blink of an eye.  Now I have to consider if I need to disable the stove....arggghhhh.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Scary for sure, I worry about this too. Glad it was no worse Jeff. Could she have been reacting to your absence maybe? I suspect otherwise it was probably nice for you to get out.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff, That is scary!

When we purchased our current home 8 years ago (right about when DW was showing the first symptoms) it had an induction cooktop. For anyone who has never used an induction cooktop you need something that can be magnetized on the burner or it will not work. You can put a roll of paper towels or a potholder on the burn, turn it on and nothing will happen. In the beginning I really didn’t like it mainly because I had to buy new pots & pans that would work on the stove. Now I love it because it greatly reduce the chances of a stovetop incident.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

If the aide lets her out of her sight you have a problem if you have a gas stove or anything else as an ignition source

As I said in another thread Bizarre dangerous behavior is  is a typical symptom of Alzheimers

Fortunately DW never knew how to turn the stove on

As she said when they installed it "that's not my department"

However in MC if she sees a computer unattended she sits down at it .

Just cooked key lime pies for DW's birthday tomorrow.

• banpaeng
    banpaeng Member Posts: 66
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Wow, that is how my wife is.  She can't be still.  If she thinks it is time to cook, off she goes.  Fortunatly she hasn't tried to cook in about two years,
  • lqadams
    lqadams Member Posts: 51
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Likes
    A simple fix is to remove the knobs on the stove. Mine simply pull off and push right back on.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Jeff, I can relate to that. I had something similar happen one time. But that was quite a while ago. We can always remove the knobs.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am so sorry. That must have been incredibly scary for everyone.

This is an important reminder for me to read the owner's manual for our range about the lock out feature on my unit. I had blown it off because DH does not attempt to use the range. This is an important reminder that things change.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Holy cow! So glad your aide didn't stay out of sight too long. I truly understand that we are "line of sight" mandatory. My DH has not tried to cook for 2+ years, but several months ago, decided to warm something up in the microwave.

I ran an errand to pharmacy, leaving DH and adult SS alone. The latter was not paying attention and I could smell the smoke as I approached the back door on my return. Turned out there was no real smoke as I opened the door and stepped into the kitchen - reeking of burned something. No one in sight, but in the garbage can was one of our "microwave safe" (hard plasticky-type) plates with a blackened center...and a 3 inch hole burnt in it. No idea what happened, but my guess is DH tried to heat something (in aluminum foil, or a small metal can...?) on that plate and the microwave didn't agree. Let's just say it could have been bad.

The guys? In their respective bedrooms. Blank looks on both faces. Yeah, PWD can't be left to their own devices.

• mainstreetmarshall
    mainstreetmarshall Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    One of the first symptoms my wife showed was constantly forgetting to shut off the burner when done cooking. I would come in and find a near ruined pan sitting over the fire, she sitting on the couch eating, totally oblivious. She has a habit of wearing micro fiber type robes and clothing....which is VERY dangerous near open flames. Worries me constantly.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

PWDs lose their sense of safety and consequences.  It's an integral part of the disease.  

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney