Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

One is the loneliest number

Gig Harbor
Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
Years ago 3 Dog Night put out a song called One. They had obviously never lived with a person with dementia. In dementia land Two is the loneliest number. I would be so much less lonely by myself. I have to do everything around the house because my husband can’t help except fold laundry and unload the dishwasher. I find myself getting resentful especially as he is now starting to move things around and they seemingly disappear. If I were by myself I would look at doing those things as a challenge but I wouldn’t be resentful. I could do them whenever I wanted to. Two is definitely the loneliest number in our house.

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Agreed...at this point in our journey, I would also be less lonely by myself.
  • JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    I feel exactly the same way. Not to mention the amount of time spent worrying, keeping him clean, clothed, fed and occupied. It's lonely and exhausting.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Well, yes. If just me, I’d be out with friends, traveling, and doing things I enjoy. I’d have real conversations with whoever is sitting with me. Of course every single person faces silence (but not like with a nonresponsive body present), and  chores, (but not like doing, or having responsibilities for, *everything* for someone else.)

Two is the loneliest for caregivers. But I sure did love this band.

• banpaeng
    banpaeng Member Posts: 66
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    For sure two is now the loneliest  number in this house.  I dream of the day I find freedom again.  Until then life sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I agree but "one" is not easy either.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    I have been alone for over three years now. I get reminded almost every day what it was like to have had a real partner, not just "someone to talk to".  Next milestone is in a week , it's our 46th wedding anniversary.  Of course she has no idea of it or me.  But I remember.   Oh do I remember. I just have to keep reminding myself that I had over 42 years  with my princess. How many people get 42  years with someone where they want to come home to her every single night? I used to browbeat airlines to get home early.  Oh well
  • John_inFlorida
    John_inFlorida Member Posts: 51
    reading some of these are just so sad. But nice knowing others out there feel the same. Its nice connection with other people who understand. No one else I could really share these feelings with
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Gig- The next line on the 3 Dog Night song is: 

“Two can be as bad as one; it’s the loneliest number since the number one”

• Bhopper
    Bhopper Member Posts: 64

Wow ! That is the simplest perfect example I sometimes find myself taking the extra 5 minutes to reorganize my wife's closet just to be alone for a short break. I love her dearly but somedays I can't breathe unless I get the small breaks to be 1.

Thank You! just a happy side-note Never Been To Spain can almost always change her mood for the better.

Thanks again

• Melodious bird
    Melodious bird Member Posts: 8
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I agree. We have passed through the moving everything around phase in my home. He used to put the dishes in the wrong place ( sometimes dirty ones that hadn’t been through the wash cycle yet). Now he basically sits in his chair all day. He knows who I am still, but we don’t have real conversations anymore. We used to have such a close relationship. It is very sad. If it weee just one I would be out with family and friends, instead I am home answering the same questions over and over again. At least I know I am not the only person who is struggling with this. Thank you for your post.
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,309
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I've been the (1) for over six years.  I'd rather be two even with the work and worry.  At least there's another warm body in the house and you can talk to them, even if you don't get the answers you expect.  Be content with the "two" while you can.  Being alone is not a lot of fun.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I look forward to when I only have to take care of one person - and that is me!
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I find myself talking to the dog. She always looks interested in what I am saying and as long as the word treat is mentioned I have her attention. I find myself looking ahead to the time I am actually one. I am planning road trips, deciding what kind of car my new one will be because I will need to replace ours. I have to have something to look forward to because this disease has taken away our joint plans. I do try to list the good things in my life and find that they outnumber the bad ones but I do have to search for them some days. I also realize that by the time couples reach their 60’s and 70’s even if there is no dementia things are often not as good as it looks to an outsider. This time in my life is my survival time mode. I fit in exercise on my treadmill each day because I plan to be a thriver as well as a survivor. There are times when I feel like I am living in an alternate universe but it helps me get thru the day.
  • feudman
    feudman Member Posts: 59
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

GH, I love your last post. There are so many different ways of looking at things (as in our situations). I too have often thought about what things would be like at this point sans dementia...would we be treasuring each other in blissful harmony? Doubtful. Perhaps, like old clothes, comfortable with each other, but taking fir granted our precious time together.

Anyway, how many of you know what a "Three Dog Night" is? Hint: you have more of them in certain parts of the country, and none in others.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Gig Harbor - love the song and yes, I agree with your assessment. I hear Lorita's experience too...that there may be a time when I will wish for even my compromised LO to be back with me. I already want my real DH back, but that's different. And its never going to happen. Thanks AD.

But at this stage (6b-6c) I, too, am looking ahead one day to maybe?, hopefully?, having the chance to be "alone but not lonely" for hours, days or weeks on end as I choose. This idea of being part of a twosome where one party is really not truly present, but also not at all self-sufficient is the kicker. It creates the constant reminder of what was, and what will now never be, that makes the loneliness and loss front and center for me. 

And, yes, the survival mode in doing for two with a LO who pulls in the opposite direction on most things now. I don't have a song reference for this, but it reminds me of a book a survivor wrote when she left her abusive husband. She found herself suddenly raising 2 or 3 young sons alone while trying to support them financially, emotionally, and physically taking care of the house, yard, car, shopping, cooking, feeding, cleaning, health care, school expectations, sports commitments etc. She said whoever described that as being a "single parent" was wrong; you're a "double-parent" when running everything singlehandedly. That's what we are too. And its a lonely road, for sure.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,309
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Feudman - we had two weeks of three-dog nights this past February.  I can do without those. 
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig Harbor wrote:
    I also realize that by the time couples reach their 60’s and 70’s even if there is no dementia things are often not as good as it looks to an outsider.   
    GH, I so agree with this statement.  So many of our same age friends (70’s) are dealing with health problems, aging parents, wayward kids and grandkids, financial woes; sometimes it makes DH’s condition and our present lifestyle seem like a walk in the park.  I often lament missed travel, social outings, what might have been.  But I can see, as I grow older,  that quiet time at home is a blessing.  Thankfully, for now, I am incredibly physical healthy, caring for DH is not a huge burden and I have some bucket list plans on the back burner should I become “one”.  For now, I miss “him” terribly, but “he” is long gone so it’s one day at a time.  I look forward to a life after Alz, but then, do I? It’s a case of “watching what you wish for”.  
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    When dementia hit we were just beginning the golden years. Second daughter was getting married. DW had wonderful career capping job.   I was being invited around the world. The crash was hard. Nothing would be like we hoped. We were lucky.   I could keep the ball rolling for 6 years.  But when DW could no longer be a partner in any way  I endered the wold of lonely .  Largely still there
  • Potsie
    Potsie Member Posts: 45
    Dementia shattered our future together. Two is very lonely and very quiet. DH has aphasia. He is in Advanced Living. When I am home it is very quiet, no one to talk to. At the facility is my best friend, unable to speak or understand. I still talk to him and would love to hear one word. Now he can only laugh at any sound he hears whether is is talking or just noises around him. I agree that one and two are lonely. I have no idea what completely being one will be like. I hope to live again and find some enjoyment. I feel so sad for DH, he can't even figure out how to  cough when he needs to. His quality of life is really declining. Thinking of all you ones and twos. Hoping for some sunshine for all of us. Hugs

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more