Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

For LindaBrew

Linda, I started a thread for you.  There is a website that discusses suggestions for work accommodations for various conditions.  You can look this over.  

www.askjan.org

But I would suggest that you not disclose a diagnosis to your employer until you have further information and can make plans.  This is because employers may fire at will and you could lose all employment benefits.

You may have been working remotely during this past year.  Do you have a copy of your latest annual employee review?  You may want to see if you have verbal or written warnings of lapses.  

There is a lot to be concerned about in this area.  You need more information before you can proceed.  You may want to seek legal advice before proceeding.

I have more to tell you, depending upon your questions.  

Iris

Comments

• LindaBrew
    LindaBrew Member Posts: 6
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Iris, thank you for the reply’s. I have reached out to a SSD attorney. I have a varied hourly job, there is no benefits. I  am trying to work through each day. Any advice is helpful. Everyone’s story is helpful and inspiring. I have only noticed issues in my memory and cognitive skills in the last 4-6 months. As a psychologist I understand what’s going on to a degree because I still don’t know the type. My mom had dementia (I am not sure what type but think vascular, but that’s not passed down). My step father had Alzheimer’s. I have seen first hand what this does.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Linda, I posted about work accommodations on your other post.  Look at that website (www.askjan.org) for some helpful tips that might get you through the upcoming weeks until you get some answers.

I hope you are being thoroughly evaluated.  There are many dementia mimics, especially in your age group.

Write back whenever you feel up to it.

Iris

• LindaBrew
    Thank you. I did receive that message. I have looked into other causes of what’s happening to me before I went to a doc with my concern. All my test so far come back normal. I have had two different doc give me a test for dementia and failed. I see a nuropsy to give me a very extensive test.
  • LindaBrew
    I am having a hard time finding online support groups. Do you know have I can find them?
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Linda, this message board is the only online group that I use.

Michael Ellenbogen is affiliated with more groups.  I don't know if they are meeting online.  

You can call the Helpline and ask them 1-800-272-3900.  

Iris

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Yes call that number as they now have many online groups. You dont need one for your state because you are doing it online so it does not matter were you are.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more