Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

An update from WL

W.L.
W.L. Member Posts: 22
Third Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Last February I brought my DW home from memory care as I discussed here. I just feel led to give you an update on the outcome of that decision in hopes it might help others making this difficult choice.

When she first came home there was some confusion on her part but she soon settled in as if she had never left and she doesn't even recall being gone. She is happy and content. We spend 24 hours a day together for which I am grateful and it has proven to not be a burden.

She does want to sleep a lot but I encourage her to get up and get dressed. We go for drives which she dearly loves, occasionally we eat out which she enjoys. We attend church where she is showered with love. We get together with friends that are patient, understanding and kind, always taking time to answer and listen to the never ending repeated questions and stories. Praise God for good friends.

I suppose I'm kinda rambling now and I apologize for that. I'm just hoping to encourage others with our story. It won't work for everyone and each circumstance is different but for us, it's all good.

If you can understand this, I pray God will call her home before she ever has to go back into MC.

Hang in there and cherish all the time you can have with your loved one. God bless and guide you through this difficult journey.

WL

Comments

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Glad it’s working out for you, WL. many here, including me, find the 24/7/365 care very difficult. Love and respect for my wife certainly helps me justify keeping her home with me, as it does others. Some of the behaviors are hard to deal with. No need for details, there’s enough description in the posts here. There is also the safety concern and the ability to run a household while caregiving full time. You are doing what’s best for you and your wife, which is the best Amy of us can do.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    WL, I am very happy for you & your wife that this move has turned out well for both of you. Honestly, I am more likely heading in the opposite direction but we all need to do what be believe is in the best interest for our LOs. I hope you both continue to thrive.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more